News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Another Toyota First!

Started by akstraw, December 29, 2008, 05:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Youshock

That sort of goes along with the automatic braking system Packard tried around 1955.  There was a sensor in the grille that measured the distance from the Packard to the car in front of it.  Problem was, in city traffic, the car got terrified to move!!!  All those cars buzzing around the sensor!

The Cyclone showcar had a radar in it that would set off distance warning lights on the dash.  (Maurice Hendry's "Cadillac:  The Complete History" has some info on these systems.)

With cars that buzz, whistle, call the police on you, park themselves:  why not?  I wish they'd make one that'd drive itself.  The only time I'll ever get to RIDE in a Cadillac is when I'm dead--at least I HOPE it's a Cadillac--

I'll be calling my lawyer tomorrow to change the Will...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Ohio57-62Sedan

They... are working on it...  GM has a bunch of ideas from the youngest and brightest from MIT..  :D

Don't worry Walter well make sure there are nothing but Cadillac's in your procession... ;)

Coupe

This quote from Toyoland's opening page pretty sums up their approach. "Toyota has been a pioneer in advanced technology - not so much inventing it as actually using it." Hasn't this been the secret to Japan's success, whether it is a TV or a car? What have they invented? They take a good idea, expand on it and find a cheaper way to build it.  
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Walter Youshock

More or less--

They CAN "Gild the Lily"!!!!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Walter Youshock

As a part of reconstruction and being taught self-efficiency, they not only saw and were shown how things were made, but immediately got to work on how to make it better and more efficiently.  Eventually, we simply fell behind.

No wonder we are where we are today...

Complacency is expensive.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Johnny

Not to sound unpatriotic, but Japans success is due to our failure to produce quality products that Americans wanted.  Sure there was a big difference with labor costs, but the fact remains that at 50 dollars a week or 50 dollars an hour, the Japanese were able to produce better vehicles.

Edit, removed quote as it appears in the thread above making it redundant, rgm.

Walter Youshock

...and, after WWII, WE showed them HOW to make things so THEY could become self-sufficient.

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Johnny

Yes we did, but the fact remains, for whatever reason they built thiings better then we did.

Edit, removed quote, rgm

Walter Youshock

NOW you got my point!!!!!!!!!!!!

COMPLACENCY IS EXPENSIVE!!!!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Johnny on January 08, 2009, 04:29:50 PM
*You will be able to relax in the next couple of days, if not sooner, since I am sure one of the powers to be will be eliminating these posts.  Most likely one of the non American moderators.   
G'day Johnny,

From what you just said, it would have to be me that you are referring to as there aren't any other "Alien" Moderators.

But, fear not, it was an American Moderator that locked the thread as it was going totally "Off-topic".

The rest of the free world is totally aware of the tragedies of not only Pearl Harbour and the Twin Towers, but the rest of the Terrorist activities that have occurred worldwide.   Did you hear about Bali?

Bruce. >:D
"Alien"  sorry, non American Moderator 
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Robert Meyers

Interesting thread having strayed horrendously off topic.

Irrelevant, negative/impolite posts removed.

Thread locked as everyone has had their say, and then some.

Class/Tact is universal, regardless of moderator's origin/local.
1988 & '89 Broughams. 2 X 1992 Fleetwood. 1956 Packard Patrician. 1978 Peugeot 504 Wagon. 1975 Ford Custom 500 Wagon, 1972 Lincoln Continental.