News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

differential leak

Started by Jim Garner #23406, January 10, 2009, 08:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Garner #23406

My 62 eldo has a leak at the input shaft seal on the rear end. So far I have been unable to break loose the nut aft of the rear universal. Is there a trick to it and if I get the nut off can I then get the seal out? The car has not been driven in many years, but the seepage seems to be getting worse from just rolling around in the garage. Thanks
Jim

Dave Shepherd

A good quality air impact gun should do it or a breaker bar with a pipe extension, use a pipe wrench on the yoke with an extension blocked up against the floor to hold the diff from turning, but the air gun is the way to go.  Make sure you retighten the nut to proper torque specs when done, and clean the threads also.

Roger H

It is sometimes hard to get the seal out,  Snapon makes a good seal remover.   to use it you poke or drill into the seal without touching the pinnion or housing.  insert a hook type puller in the hole and tap on the other end of the puller to pull the seal out.  the snapon puller looks like a letter L with a small hook at the top.  You may get it out with small chissels if you are careful but DON'T  scratch the pinion.  also get some small round wire brushes and brake cleaner to clean after removal.
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

TJ Hopland

Are those set with a crush sleeve or shimmed?   You would want to know for sure before you take it apart. Crush sleeves have to be replaced.  Shims you should be ok.

A good impact tool is the way to go if you can get one.   Cheap one will not be worth your time.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Dave Shepherd

No crush sleeve, shims, get it torqued properly as I said.

Jim Garner

Thanks to each of you for your help. I was using an old impact wrench to try and loosen the nut. I even broke my 18" breaker bar. Fortunately it was a Craftsman and I exchanged it for a new one today. I felt guilty taking it back to Sears. It had to be 25 years old. While at the Sears store I bought a good impact wrench. With it the nut came right off. Tomorrow I will fabricate a puller to remove the yoke so I can get the seal changed. Thanks again for your suggestions.
Jim

Ted in Olympia WA

Good for you! I would not feel guilty for sears, the one they gave you is probaby not the same quality as the one you got 25 years ago.

A couple of years ago I purchased a framing hammer from a garage sale with a broken handle for $1.  I figured I could replace the handle and have a good hammer.  Since it was a Sears I went there to get a new handle.  They looked at it and said it was a Craftman and gave me a brand new hammer; Craftman's best worth over $30.  I dd feel slightly guilty about this.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

Ohio57-62Sedan

Just my two cent's here, I would put a thin coat of lube.. ie grease navel jelly whatever you have.. on the Yoke. when reinstalling...
you don't want the seal to be dry.. that way you don't run the risk of poping off the guarder spring..  :o