News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Leakage problem in Cadillac Fleedwood 1976

Started by mauser, January 15, 2009, 06:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauser

Hallo
I have a Cadillac Fleetwood Brogham d ´Eligance 1976 model and her in Iceland we have somtimes a heavy rain and storm so the raining are vertical .The proplem is that I have some legage on the front flore and also in the rear flore  , On the fire wall was some black gum and it was hard and broken so I break it up and pot a new gum in all corner and paint with a black paint over is it posbley that I have some water ther in or are the legage with the window ,if somene have this probleme plece give my some answer. And some times it is water in the trunk ,maby I have to changes the gumi ther on.
Johann
Johann Vilhjalmsson
CLC # 24743
Cadillac Fleetwood Brogham D' Elegance 1976
Cadillac Eldorado 1983

Brian Daum

Hei Johann,

Most of the times leaks are very hard to find the source of. Especially if you car has a vinyl roof. But chances are that water is entering your car somewhere around the windshields, and most likely somewhere near the bottom of the windows.

You could try to find out if the leak comes there by using some silicone around the moldings. If that fixes it, the windows must come out. Then resealing and your back in business.  That is until your trunk starts to leak.

Lykke til!
1956 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1959 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
1998 Cadillac DeVille d`Elegance

Barry

Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible

mauser

Thank you Brian
I was driving last week in rain and I try to find out the legage in the front and it was like the water came out near the petal for the parking brake or around that aria
maby it com from the front window some gum are dry ore somthing?
Johann
Johann Vilhjalmsson
CLC # 24743
Cadillac Eldorado 1983

Johnny

Quote from: mauser on January 19, 2009, 03:34:22 PM
Thank you Brian
I was driving last week in rain and I try to find out the legage in the front and it was like the water came out near the petal for the parking brake or around that aria
maby it com from the front window some gum are dry ore somthing?
Johann

What is the condition of the body near the rear belt line?  Cadillacs of that era, were notorious for having premature rusting problems, that caused leaks to the trunk.

mauser

Ok Thanks Johnny. It can explain the leakage in the in  the trunk. My car have a vinyl roof and and on the left side on the top near rear window I have a rust problem and we repear that but maby the rust go up under the vinyl?
Johann
Johann Vilhjalmsson
CLC # 24743
Cadillac Eldorado 1983

Johnny

Quote from: mauser on January 20, 2009, 12:27:25 PM
Ok Thanks Johnny. It can explain the leakage in the in  the trunk. My car have a vinyl roof and and on the left side on the top near rear window I have a rust problem and we repear that but maby the rust go up under the vinyl?
Johann

As I remember rust under vinyl roofs was also a major problem with cars of that era.  Look for bubbles in the vinyl.

Ted in Olympia WA

On the bottom of the fenders there are some drain holes.  Sometime pine needles and other stuff gets in the inner fender and plug up these holes.  When the water has no place to go then it fills up and falls to the inside.  Eventually this is fixed because the fender rust out and makes a bigger drain hole.

I used to do bodywork with my dad and this was a common fix to clean out this area.

Also have a buddy run a garden hose around part of the body while you watch for leaks on the inside.  At least this way you can sometime find out the genneral area of the leak.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

jaxops

Quote from: Ted in Olympia WA on January 20, 2009, 09:27:47 PM
On the bottom of the fenders there are some drain holes.  Sometime pine needles and other stuff gets in the inner fender and plug up these holes.  When the water has no place to go then it fills up and falls to the inside.  Eventually this is fixed because the fender rust out and makes a bigger drain hole.

I used to do bodywork with my dad and this was a common fix to clean out this area.

Also have a buddy run a garden hose around part of the body while you watch for leaks on the inside.  At least this way you can sometime find out the genneral area of the leak.

TED
Ted is right about that.  My uncle's van in Pennsylvania leaked onto the floor pans and it turned out it was the drains for the windshield clogging up.  Make sure to blow out the drains and hoses (if there are drain lines) with compressed air.  My brother the mechanic always says that water (or oil for that matter on the engine) leaks high and runs down.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

mauser

OK Thanks for this answers
It is maby right, but can you explane better for my where this drain holes are locaded under the car. When I start thinking this leakge start it was late in the summer
but after have send the car to tectyl or rust protect like we do with all cars here in Iceland a thik oil are paintet in all parts and under the car body,so maby this have block the drain hole ?
Johann
Johann Vilhjalmsson
CLC # 24743
Cadillac Eldorado 1983

homeonprunehill

Quote from: mauser on January 23, 2009, 03:25:58 PM
OK Thanks for this answers
It is maby right, but can you explane better for my where this drain holes are locaded under the car. When I start thinking this leakge start it was late in the summer
but after have send the car to tectyl or rust protect like we do with all cars here in Iceland a thik oil are paintet in all parts and under the car body,so maby this have block the drain hole ?
Johann
01-24-09
johann,  Look under the doors, (doors open) If you find one,you will find the others, take a peice of stiff wire and clean it out.  It is possible that the drains were covered when they sprayed the under-coating on.
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

mauser

Thank you for this information
Next week I go to find it out and if I find the legage I led you know wher it come from
Johann
Johann Vilhjalmsson
CLC # 24743
Cadillac Eldorado 1983

mauser

Hi This evening I find it out. There is a box on the fire wall under the front window with net over , we take the net out and in the box was full of mud hand have block the drain hole who are in the corner near front door and fender. And the bottom on the box have rust and the only way out was inside my car under the desk . So is some one have same problem maby that is the answear.
All the best Johann
Johann Vilhjalmsson
CLC # 24743
Cadillac Eldorado 1983