News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Did someone lose their 1947 Cadillac?

Started by TMoore - NTCLC, January 15, 2009, 08:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otto Skorzeny

Abandoned? Somebody probably stole it, then abandoned it.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

1964deville

Any damage due to gun shots? Probably 'the don' was wacked and the car left behind  ;D

This car reminds me of The Godfather. Hope someone will take care of her.

BR, Luc
Luc Reintjes
The Netherlands
1964 Six Window Sedan Deville
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3105/3204734316_2df2ba30a8_b.jpg

J

Is this legal?   i mean it is a good price but after all the car was free to them    but it is an older caddy i can afford how would you go about getting a title/ or knowing the car is not stolen etc.....????????? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Cadillac got me!!!

Otto Skorzeny

I'd ask for them to sign an affidavit clearly staating how they came to be in posession of the car and that under the laws of their state they're entiltled to sell it for unpaid rent or whatever the circumstances are. This would at least protect you from legal problems if indeed the car does turn out to be stolen - not by the seller but by someone prior to their ownership., etc.

Make sure you get a bill of sale with all the relevant info on it.

Check with your DMV for licensing non titled cars. Most states have a standard procedures for this. If you're lucky and live in a state like GA, all you need is a bill of sale for any car 15 years or older. It doesn't have to be noterized or anything.
fward

Joe Manna

Seems like a good but kinda shady deal.That car looks way to solid to be for parts only.
1951 Chevrolet Bel-Air-50's Style Custom
1963 Cadillac 4 Window Sedan deVille
1991 Cadillac DW69 Brougham,All original and used daily
2015 Cadillac SRX

Otto Skorzeny

I think they're just saying parts only because it doesn't run. Ebay has different rules for drivable cars and non drivable cars. They may also not know much about cars and just want to get it out of their property.

If you're considering buying this car, I would ask many, many questions about it's origins and ask them if they are willing to put the whole story in writing for you.

Most states allow people to claim abandoned property but you want to have your ducks in a row. Find out what the laws about mechanic's liens / abandoned property are in the state of the seller.
fward

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Looks like a moot point as it probably won't sell. They're making the classic Ebay mistake & starting the bid price WAY too high. Auctions always start low & go up. The lack of title is scareing bidders. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

harry s

I don't think a bill of sale from a non owner will help. Unless they go through the abandoned auto procedure they don't have the right to selll the car. They have even stated it is "too much trouble to go through" so they have elected to just sell it to anyone willing to pay their price. There have been many stories of stolen cars being identified by their owners and being taken from the unknowing purchasers leaving them out in the cold.
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Otto Skorzeny

All of that is true Harry, but if you live in a state like mine, buying an untitled car is no problem at all.

If it's stolen and the serial number is on a hot list, they'll get you when you try to register it. If it's not stolen, you can buy it and register and title it here in Georgia without any hassle. After that, you can sell/transfer it to any other state without difficulty because it will now have a valid Georgia title.
fward

Eric S. Maypother #15104

I wonder why they say with confidence 32,560 original mileage, then further down they say they don't know much about cars or the history of this car.

I see in ad's in Hemming's they guarantee titles, I think they register in a state where ones not required then sign it over to you so you have a valid title to register it in your state, I wonder if the police, registry or your insurance company can run the VIN for you before you even buy a car before you go through the trouble of buying it, transporting, restoring it then find out it's stolen. I highly doubt this car is stolen but I've heard stories of people buying, fixing up cars and trucks only to find out they were stolen then they have to return them and lose out on the money they paid for var plus repairs.

I know in my state years ago you didn't need a title for a car more than 10 years old, then they changed it to all cars, I think it was just another way to get another $50 out of you, not so much to deter car theft.
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

homeonprunehill

01-17-09
ALL; I Brought my '38 La S from a storage garage in ND the sheriff looked without finding the S/N I transfered to  WA,went to the DOL and Inspection dept.
And they have a good inspection law here, so, before I went to the trouble of having having it shipped from ND to  WA. I went to the inspection station and the Cadillac GODs were happy that day, the inspector had a '61 or '62 Cadillac convert. and after I told him my tale of woe, He agreed to come to my house to inspect the car . He had worked as an inspector for 15 years and he said he had not seen a car that he couldn't find a S/N or VINon the car somewhere. I have trouble finding it  Since he was the owner of an old Cadillac, he put on the title appercation that the ND title had a "casting-number" insteadof the S/N otherwise I would have to wait three years for a regular title and hope no one claim it. Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES