News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Live-blogging the inauguration - Cadillac style

Started by CaddyShackPA, January 20, 2009, 11:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaddyShackPA

Since pundits will hash and rehash every aspect of today's events, why not the automotive perspective? I've been watching all the networks and have yet to see them get the car part right. Obama went to church and then to the White House in the old limo, but the commentators are all talking about how it is his brand new car and how extraordinary it is, regurgitating the standard talking points. They have no idea what they're looking at - which is the old car. Ah, the automotive unwashed.

Now they've left the White House and are enroute to Capitol Hill, this time in the actual new car. While the blogosphere hasn't exactly greeted the design warmly, I like it. The CTS-like grille is terrific and the proportions are just fine given the mission, especially when viewed from some distance so you can take it all in. The height looks appropriate as well - and look at the size of the tires. Blackwalls, however! Jesus flavit.

When watching Clinton's inauguration - first or second I don't recall, but it was the 1993-1996 body style - I was watching the car sitting idling at the White House portico. I recall thinking the steam from the exhaust had a particularly forceful and somewhat staccato appearance, making me wonder about decidedly nonstock drivetrain possibilities. Was not at least one of the presidential limos rumored to be a 454 Chevy with a Banks system? The only speculation I've seen about the new Caddy's drivetrain is that it may be a 6.6L (Duramax / Isuzu? Heaven forfend...) turbodiesel - anyone know different or better? I like diesels but hope this new car is gas-powered...

Regards,
Jeff   #23864
J. Papciak   #23864     
'59 Coupe DeVille
'69 Eldorado  
'72 Coupe DeVille  
'77 Seville
‘81 Fleetwood Brougham  
‘89 Brougham 
'92 Sedan DeVille  
‘95 Fleetwood  
'02 STS   '10 CTS-V   ‘17 CTS

Otto Skorzeny

If it is a diesel, maybe Barack can invite his pal, Al Gore, over one weekend and the two of them can do one of those $250 conversions to bio -diesel. They could recycle the grease and cooking oil from the White House kitchen.

He'd score some points with the eco nuts, that's for sure.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Jon Riley

Great job GM!  I think that the new limo looks great - tough, and yet reserved.  I'm sure GM looses money on these cars, but what great advertising. 

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Quote from: Jon Riley on January 20, 2009, 04:53:12 PMI'm sure GM loses money on these cars, but what great advertising. 
Considering the amount of money GM has been losing lately, that car is a tiny drop in a very vast ocean!

David King (kz78hy)

I understand the cars are donated to the government, there is no charge.

That thought was running through my mind as we were getting castrated on TV just last month.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

CaddyShackPA

Watching the parade was even more telling. The scale of the car (?) is just massive; watching the Secret Service walking alongside was almost surreal, as though they'd been shrunken. I guess that explains the absence of whitewalls - not an option in 80psi (runflat) truck tires. But hey, since everything else is custom...
J. Papciak   #23864     
'59 Coupe DeVille
'69 Eldorado  
'72 Coupe DeVille  
'77 Seville
‘81 Fleetwood Brougham  
‘89 Brougham 
'92 Sedan DeVille  
‘95 Fleetwood  
'02 STS   '10 CTS-V   ‘17 CTS

JerRita

In the AOL blog I posted last week they said it was built on a truck chassis with a 6.5 deisel I don't know about this new one but on the history channel they said that in the past the companies would build the limo and then lease them to the gov't JeRita 
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs

Rich S

The new Limo looked better in the parade route than expected . . . but in my opinion, the car should still resemble a production model Cadillac (i.e. front clip and rear clip)! As a limousine "flagship," the full-sized DTS is the logical choice (therefore, the traditional Cadillac Limousine appearance--and those American limousines ought to have white sidewall tires). Otherwise, I would have based the new presidential limousine to resemble a stretched CTS--with its award-winning styling, and a car based on that would have the black sidewall tires. As someone said, since this is a totally custom-made vehicle, custom make the WSW tires. This amalgam of Cadillac parts came out too much like a Chrysler 300 "stretch" in appearance (I've read that and heard such comments)--therefore, not much good to Cadillac's image. Another big advertising opportunity has been lost by GM. (Just my .02 cents!)
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

The Tassie Devil(le)

All they had to do was get a sidewall grinding machine and paint the Whitewalls on the tyres.

But then, I suppose having Whitewalls on the vehicle wouyld give possible snipers another aiming point, well, two each side?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon