News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Polyurethane Strut Arm Bushings

Started by John Baker, January 24, 2009, 07:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Baker

I need to replace the strut arm bushings on my 1967 Calais. I have been unable to find polyurethane bushings for this application. Any suggestions on a source for this item would be appreciated.

Regards,

John Baker

Dave Shepherd

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

John,
On your car I think you will find that there is very little advantage to using anything but standard (good Manufacturer) strut arm bushings.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

John Baker

Thanks Dave and Greg,
Will do. I ended up with MOOG bushings, hope that they will last for a while.

Regards,

John Baker

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

John,
If they are put on correctly, meaning front piece to the front and not backwards, and if the strut rood adjustment is made carefully, mening DONT TWIST THE STRUT ROD BUSHINGS. you should get years out of them.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on January 24, 2009, 06:29:53 PMput on correctly, meaning front piece to the front and not backwards

I assume these are like many manufactures were in the 60's.  Threaded rod, nut, cupped washer (part of kit), rubber, frame of car, rubber, cup washer, nut.   I replaced them on my ford recently and got rubber Moogs.  I just happened to notice the instructions in the box (who reads directions?)  with the new parts instructed me to orient the washers the opposite way than the original ones were.   I did as instructed and it seems to be working fine.   I have since run into great debate on which was correct.   Is this the same issue with the cad ones?   IIRC on my ford the rubber would only fit one way because the two pieces had to fit into each other as they went through the frame. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason