News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Anti-Sway Bar Installation

Started by John Baker, January 24, 2009, 07:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Baker

I am considering installing an anti-sway bar on the rear of my 1967 Calais. It would be helpful to better understand the the net effects of this modification. I am also considering replacing the existing sway bar on the front with a beefier one. Any opinions or insights on each of these mods would be appreciated.

Regards,

John Baker

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

John,
An anti-sway bar reduces body "roll" by keeping the "outside" side, the side of the car on the outside of the turn down (Left side would rise during a tight right curve at speed).  They improve handling performance remarkedly.  The one I installed on my '66 turned it from a wallowing barge into a vehicle that handles well under all conditions. There are, however a couple of drawbacks. First of all they stiffen up the ride a bit. The amount depends upon the combination of shocks and springs in your application. I have found this a negligible drawback for the return in safety, etc.
The second is the departure from originality.  The bars I have been using are quite obviously not original, but again, my cars are not show cars and are driven as high speed transportation continuously. Again a trade off for performance and safety.
Aftermarket kits are available and are relatively easy to install.
Hope that helps
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

John Baker

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the response. Like you, I wanted to enhance the handling and safety of the vehicle. It is not a show car but a driver that I enjoy driving everyday (despite the challenges of doing that with a 41 year old car). It is encouraging to find out that this mod garners substantial, tangible handling benefits. I appreciate you taking the time to bring me up to speed.

Regards,

John Baker

John Bakerb

Hello again Greg,

Where did you purchase the anti sway bar that you installed on your '66 ? Also, what brand of anti sway bar was it?

I have devoted a good bit of time researching this item, and want to incorporate your information into my purchasing decision.

Regards,

John Baker

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

John,
I found that the PST ( Performance Suspention Technologies) kit performs very well and the installation is relatively straight forward.  The only caveat and I mentioned that before is the bar does not look "stock" and it extends down a few inches below the differential.. Looks like a real "cow catcher", but in 9 years I have never had any problems.
Be real careful to follow the instructions.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Folks,

PST also makes these sway bar kits for the earlier Cadillacs, 1949-1953. I purchased the 1949 sway bar kit with the Polygraphite bushihgs and was amazed at how much heavier the bar was than the original. It came with all the parts, including the stabilizer units, to make the old girl dance around corners. Have not installed yet, damn carpal tunnel operations, on both hands has slowed me down.

On another note I purchsed the new Polygraphite Bushings for my sway bar for the 1937 LaSalle. They offered a set with zirk fittings so one could grease them occassionally. Seem to work well with the new radials.

John W.
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Jim Skelly, CLC #15958

I ordered an '87 El Camino with the sport suspension.  For some dumb reason, a rear anti-sway bar was not part of the suspension.  The mounting holes were there, though.  I put on an aftermarket bar and was surprised at how it reduced wheel hop and provided a much tighter feel to an already-great suspension.  It rides and handles better than my Eldorados.