News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Where to find a build sheet?

Started by art, January 24, 2009, 07:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art

Hey All,

I have a 62 eldorado. Is there a place that the factory would have placed the build sheet?  Thankyou for any advice.

Art

Walter Youshock

Order one from here:  http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/authenticate.shtml

You'll get a lot more information that just the Build Sheet!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

35-709

There is no specific place that a build sheet is placed.   Often there is no build sheet at all in the car.  But, it might be found under the front or rear seat or under the carpeting, or somewhere in the trunk, maybe under the trunk mat.  Wherever it got tossed as the car was being assembled --- or not.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Walter Youshock

Really, unless you plan to do a total restoration, you can look forever and not find a sheet in the car.  I've had my whole car apart and the biggest thing I found was a numbered tag that was on the bolt of carpeting that ended up under the carpet on the rear passenger floor.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Rikard Stenberg

I found the original in one of my Eldorado's behind the inner door panel (drivers side) - I was making repairs to the central locking when discovering it. But as other has already mentioned, it can be more or less in any location...

Cheers!
/Rikard

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

On the 6 new GM cars I have bought over the years I always seemed to find the build sheet in the springs of the rear seat back cushion, I had no appreciation for them and threw them away of course.  On my 76 Coupe deville that I bought in the '90s I not only found the (deteriorated) build sheet there (back of back seat) but when I pulled the rear seat right side passenger arm rest panel off to find an electrical problem I found what appeared to be a 1976 soda machine dispenser cup with logo tossed in the cavity.  Like someone previously said, the cars rolling down the assembly line were mobile trash cans for all sorts of debris.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

The Tassie Devil(le)

Question:

Was the rear seat the last item to go into a car when it was built?

If it wasn't, why would the Build Sheet be there?

And, why put the Build Sheet inside the car anyway?   

Wouldn't that be the last "Checking" item before the vehicle left the Assembly Line?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Bruce,
I haven't a clue as to why they put the build sheets there.  That is just where I found them.
Greg

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Bruce & others, it's a sloppy system. When you want it for your nice car, it's not there. Pulling parts off a junker, it's there & in perfect condition.  I found the on in my 3X Black 70 & it was for a DIFFERENT car. The other car did have a black interior also.  Who knows. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

RobW

On my 73 CDV, I found it behind the right upper door panel.
Rob Wirsing

Wayne Womble 12210

This was the process on the Corvette, which was probably essentially the same on Cadillac.  There were multiple copies of the sheet when it was generated in the order process.  One copy went with the major assembly processes, like frame, body build, interior trim line, etc.  These processes were accomplished at different points on the line or in different areas of the plant.  As the car was built the components came together as an assembly. The sheets for each sub area tended to end up somewhere on the car near the end of the line. I have found them stuffed into the frames, stuffed behind the dash, behind door panels, in seats, etc.  There was often no real pattern, just what the last line worker did with it. It is more common to find the interior sheet, probably because it was more protected and survived.

The sheet that you get from Cadillac, I think is actually the copy that went to shipping.   

Bellier20

cadillacmike68

But you Can't get one for a 1968 because those were LOST!?!
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

slowpoke17

The GM Media Archive Center has them for $50 if interested. I believe it's a reprint from microfiche.
John Federico