News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Starter malfunction

Started by art, January 28, 2009, 04:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art

Hey All,

I have a 62 cadillac. When I go to start the car, often the starter spins free. When I try again it engages fine. This has been going on for months. Eventually it always starts the car, just have to try several times. Do you think I have to replace the whole starter, or starter drive?

Thanks for any advice,

Art in NC

dadscad

Art,
From your description I would say it is the starter drive. You could just replace the drive and continue on but if the starter has been in service very long, it would probably be best to replace the complete unit with a rebuilt one. Chances are, if you disassemble the starter to replace the drive, either the starter motor or solenoid will fail shortly.  Then you will be back under the car pulling the starter, again.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

If the Starter is spinning freely when you turn the key, then the problem is most likely in the Bendix.

The current to actually turn the Starter cannot begin until till the Bendix has engaged with the Ring Gear.

What happens is the Solenoid is energised through the current from the Ignition Switch going through the coil of wire creating a magnetic force to draw the Plunger to the end of the Solenoid space, thus pushing the Bendix Gear to mesh with the Ring Gear, and at the same time, once meshing is completed, the contacts at the end of the plunger connect main Battery Power directly to the Starter Motor Windings, causing the Starter Motor to begin spinning.

There could be problems with the internal one-way rollers in the Bendix not locking up, or wear in the lever mechanism to not allow the Bendix full travel, or either the Bendix teeth wearing away, or worse still, the Ring Gear teeth being worn away.

Either way, the Starter will have to come out and be checked out, and whilst it is out, have a good look at the condition of the teeth on the Ring Gear.

Bench-testing a Starter Motor is easy.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible