News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Power windows

Started by oldcarnut48, January 29, 2009, 04:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut48

I have a 1970 convertible-The power windows work really slow I've cleaned the gears and lubricated all the moving pieces in the tracks,it helped but not like it should.I am talked with some people who have said to get the motors rebuilt,others said get new ones.I don,t know which way to go ????can anyone give me some advise..John Bezik

The Tassie Devil(le)

Check the tightness of the glass in the actual runners.   That is where the glass surface is supposed to slide on.

Plus, if you have replaced the Weatherstripping, that will make everything tight.

I got everything working well in a '69 SDV I was working on, then when I installed the Door Panels and the like, everything slowed down something cronic.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Bruce is right.

Just a little extra tightness from new weather-stripping is enough to make these
run S-L-O-W.

Before you run out and buy new motors, apply a liberal amount of silicone spray to
the weatherstrip around all the windows.  You will be amazed at the difference that
makes.

Also, as a double check, try running the windows with the door OPEN -- if they run
well then your problem is related to door tightness and weatherstrip.  If they still run
slow, then you may have other internal problems -- but I doubt it.  I've had this happen
as well.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Glen

I’ve had the same problem on my 68-ELDO.  I took the window motors out and removed the pinion gear.  This reveals the worm gear.  After cleaning all the old grease out and putting new grease in the windows worked much better. 

Glen

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104