News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1937 Lasalle Dome Light Won't Shut Off

Started by malatu, January 30, 2009, 12:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malatu

The dome light in my 37 Lasalle at times, stays on and drains the battery.  The problem is intermittent.  I will close the door and the light will stay on and drain the battery.  Most of the time it shuts off when I close the door or will shut off in a short period of time (10 - 15 minutes).  Most of the time it's not a problem.  What mechanism controls the dome light.   Any suggestions?

Thanks,

malatu
Mark B.
CLC # 24478

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Malatu,

On my 37 LaSalle there is a switch on the drivers side that feeds the dome light. I would guess there is a problem with the switch. The switch is the only way to turn the dome light on and off.

John W.

Good Luck.
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

malatu

Quote from: John Washburn CLC 1067 on January 30, 2009, 10:31:06 PM
Malatu,

On my 37 LaSalle there is a switch on the drivers side that feeds the dome light. I would guess there is a problem with the switch. The switch is the only way to turn the dome light on and off.

John W.

Good Luck.

Exactly where are is the switch ... dash, door ...?  Thanks for the reply! 

Regards,

Mark B.
Mark B.
CLC # 24478

The on off switch is on the drivers side on the post, rear of the door. Just look at the rear post above the seat and you should find the switch.

John W.
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille

malatu

Mark B.
CLC # 24478

I am must be stupid, drunker than usual, or just old.

The switch is on the PASSENGER SIDE. I am a dope.

John Washburn
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille

malatu

LOL  been there done that!  Thanks!

Cheers,

m
Mark B.
CLC # 24478

malatu

Quote from: John Washburn CLC 1067 on January 31, 2009, 08:36:42 PM
I am must be stupid, drunker than usual, or just old.

The switch is on the PASSENGER SIDE. I am a dope.

John Washburn

Well, you may be a dope (acutally, I hope drunker than usual, at least you're having a bit of fun), but I would have never, ever,... in a thousand years looked on the passenger's side!  Did I say never ...

Again, thanks!

Cheers
Mark B.
CLC # 24478

malatu

For the life of me, I could not find the switch.  I looked all over.  Is it where one normally would be in a newer from the 70's?  Exactly where is it?

Maybe I'm the stupid, drunker than usual or just old guy!

Thanks,

malatu
Mark B.
CLC # 24478

Hello,

I would send a picture but the car is off being aligned.

Is it possible someone upholstered over where the switch should be and lef the wires dangling? Run you hand up the passenger side post to see if you can feel a hole.

If you don't get help, I will send a picture next week.

The saga continues.
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille

malatu

Thanks for the reply.  I'll give that a try.

In the mean time, just to make sure... is this switch a "manual" switch or is one that works automatically when the door opens and closes.  If I understand what the "post" is, it's the vertical member that sits between the "suicide doors". Both door's handle hardware latch on to the post keeping the door.  Correct?

Thanks,

Mark
Mark B.
CLC # 24478

Yep you are correct. The switch on my 37 is a simple off on switch, goes up and down, not much to it.

Good Luck
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille

harvey b

Hello All, the switch is on the interior portion of the post,about halfway between the top of the seat and the headliner,if it isnt visable it may have been covered over if the car has been reupholstered?,you should be able to look over your right shoulder and see it,it isint in the door jambs of the car like a 70's type car,the light has to be turned on manually by moving the switch up or down.it may have not been reinstalled when upholstery work was done,sounds like the wires are floating around in the cavity and are touching and making the light come on.this is what it sounds like to me.HTH Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

baxterculver

On the '39  60 Special Cadillacs, the door switch is on the drivers side center post.  It is a simple off-on sliding switch.  However, there also is a switch on the rear passenger door that turns the dome light on when that door is opened.  Neither switch, nor the wiring is shown in the wiring schematic in the shop manual. 
baxter culver clc#17184

malatu

Thank you very much for the detailed info.

Cheers!
Mark B.
CLC # 24478

Otto Skorzeny

So Mark,

Tell us what's going on. Did you find the switch? Did somebody upholster over it? Is your car really a LaSalle? Will John marry Marcia? This soap opera needs an ending!
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

malatu

The LaSalle is in storage and I haven't had the opportunity to check.  But when I do, I'll report back.  Sort-a-like an episode of "24".   "I'm on it!"

Cheers,

malatu
Mark B.
CLC # 24478