News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Why no 'Eldo' comercial chassis in the 70's

Started by TJ Hopland, February 03, 2009, 10:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

It seems like that would have been a natural for limos and ambulances.  They would have had much more room and flexibility without the 'hump' to deal with.  Obviously GMC saw that benefit because they used the Olds version with the RV's. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Davidinhartford

True, the rear load floor would have been lower too.   But for generations the funeral and ambulances were based on regular production cars.   The shared mechanical and body parts were a selling point, not to mention having a matching limo and hearse.   This of course is misleading as just about everything from the windshield back on the commercial chassis cars is different from a series 75 limousine.

I'm sure some at Cadillac probably considered front drive.  But the volume of these commercial chassis car sold each year was low.  I guess they didn't want to reinvent the wheel so to speak.    The GMC mobile homes were totally unique from the ground up.  So they had a fresh start.   And for what its worth, I think they still look pretty darn stylish even today.  Well, maybe not the shag carpeting and plaid seats.  LOL  Thats just cool in a retro way.