News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 6-way seat repair

Started by TommyO, February 01, 2009, 12:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TommyO

Many Thanks  Walter for your input on the bumper issue.  I have a Series 62 Convertible.  Another Quick Question--who out ther in Caddy land rebuilds seat mechanisms for a six way power seat same vintage??  Again, Thanks...
Tomeo

Walter Youshock

Don't know.  Buick and Olds should be the same as Cadillac, but far rarer.  What's wrong with your seat mechanism?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

TommyO

My 1957 six way power seat, responds sometimes as it should, and other times just slips and makes funny noises!  I have Not  removed the seat from the cart as I do not want to open a kettle of fish that I do not know how to put away!  I am however in the process of reupholstery real soon, and would like to have the seat issues corrected at this time!  Many thanks beforehand for any insight!  thanks,

Tom O
Tomeo

Walter Youshock

We're going WAY off the original topic here.  My guess is that it is a sticky solenoid or, the seat is actually hitting the end of its travel.  Do you have the Shop Manual?  The seat mechanism is one motor that turns a jack screw that turns in 3 different solenoids that move one of 3 torque rods depending on what part of the switch is activated.

The only way to fix it is to get the seat out of the car.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

J. Gomez

Tom,

Walter is correct, the only way for you to ascertain on finding and fixing the problem is by removing the seat.

I just finished working on my 1956 6-way seat the seat adjuster assembly, the electrical (motor and solenoids) and redoing the wire harness. As Walter states, the motor and solenoids work in conjunction with each other to provide the correct seat adjustment; this is all controlled by the individual switch positions.

Moving the switch to any position will active the motor and at the same time will activate the particular solenoid to perform the function.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Coupe

If the motor is working chances are it's either one or more of the solenoids are not activating due to a broken wire or the old grease is binding them up. My '57 suffered from both issues when I bought it. I soldered the wire back on and cleaned and greased the entire assembly, solenoids, jack screws and linkage etc. Works fine now. My guess is the wire broke when the previous owner tried to fix the problem without removing the seat.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

TommyO

Apologies to all for going off topic.  Still searching for my original issue!@  Need a shop manual.  Thanks to all for help and insight!

Tom
Tomeo

The Tassie Devil(le)

The best place for a Shop Manual is firstly, Crank'n Hope Reproductions in Blairesville, PA, or ebay.

The ones from Crank'n Hope are just as good as the original GM publications.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

kelly

Odly enough, a company in my home town of North Branch, MI, produced the worm screw/gear used in many '57 Cadillac power seats. They are still in business! I had a problem with the 2 way power seat in my '57 75 series, but it wasn't the unit itself.  The wiring harness that feeds power to the seat motor runs aft beneath the left hand floor/rocker cover panel. The connection that splits off to the seat motor is a twist/solder/tape arrangement, and upon inspection, mine was all nasty green and corroded. Simple fix in my case.
  If you find that the steel worm screw/gear is FUBAR, let me know. I will see if M.K. Chambers can make replacements for you from old specs/prints.
Kelly Martin
Kelly Martin
1957 Fleetwood 75
2008 DTS

Dan Koser

Quote from: J. Gomez on February 03, 2009, 06:19:00 PM
Tom,

Walter is correct, the only way for you to ascertain on finding and fixing the problem is by removing the seat.

I just finished working on my 1956 6-way seat the seat adjuster assembly, the electrical (motor and solenoids) and redoing the wire harness. As Walter states, the motor and solenoids work in conjunction with each other to provide the correct seat adjustment; this is all controlled by the individual switch positions.

Moving the switch to any position will active the motor and at the same time will activate the particular solenoid to perform the function.

Good luck..!
I've been gone for a long time, but am back at the '57 Series 62 2-Dr. HT, and would like to know if there is a tutorial or some such on removing/repairing/reinstalling the seat solenoids on this car? Any information would be appreciated. My son and I lifted this seat out and I tore my rotator cuff in the process, so BE CAREFUL...this seat weighs a TON!! Dan

Dan Koser

I found this great link describing in detail the functioning of the power seat:

http://www.eldorado-seville.com/files/tag-6-way-power-seat.php

What is not here is how to repair a solenoid, so that remains my question for the moment....my seat works except for the fore and aft adjustment.  Dan

J. Gomez

Quote from: Dan Koser on July 31, 2016, 11:41:24 PM
I found this great link describing in detail the functioning of the power seat:

http://www.eldorado-seville.com/files/tag-6-way-power-seat.php

What is not here is how to repair a solenoid, so that remains my question for the moment....my seat works except for the fore and aft adjustment.  Dan

Dan,

??? Not clear from your post if you have done any troubleshooting on the solenoids.

If you disconnect them and apply a direct +12V source at the connector, do they energized?

If they do you may have a problem at the switch.

You can check the following thread as it has some details that could help you, PS the ’56 and ’57 are similar.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=141542.0

Good luck..! 
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

BillR. CLC # 29203

Dan,
Super information and graphics associated with that link.
Thanks for sharing.
Bill Rodwick
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Crew Member:  '59 Sedan Deville Six Window

Dan Koser

Quote from: J. Gomez on August 01, 2016, 09:10:04 AM
Dan,

??? Not clear from your post if you have done any troubleshooting on the solenoids.

If you disconnect them and apply a direct +12V source at the connector, do they energized?

If they do you may have a problem at the switch.

You can check the following thread as it has some details that could help you, PS the ’56 and ’57 are similar.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=141542.0

Good luck..!
The only trouble shooting I've done is to note that, thought the motor energized, the seat will not move forward or backward. What is the procedure for accessing the internal parts of the solenoid? I will apply the voltage to test, but I still see the need to disassemble, clean and reassemble and that's where I'm stuck. Dan

J. Gomez

Quote from: Dan Koser on August 01, 2016, 02:15:07 PM
The only trouble shooting I've done is to note that, thought the motor energized, the seat will not move forward or backward. What is the procedure for accessing the internal parts of the solenoid? I will apply the voltage to test, but I still see the need to disassemble, clean and reassemble and that's where I'm stuck. Dan

Dan.

If you have a ’57 shop manual Section 17 has details on the 6-way seats starting on page 17-44. The steps on the shop manual should give you additional details on troubleshooting yours.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Dan Koser

Quote from: J. Gomez on August 01, 2016, 03:18:17 PM
Dan.

If you have a ’57 shop manual Section 17 has details on the 6-way seats starting on page 17-44. The steps on the shop manual should give you additional details on troubleshooting yours.

Good luck..!
It does, but it does not answer the question "What is the procedure for accessing the internal parts of the solenoid?" Section 17 talks about replacing the solenoid under certain conditions...this thread is about cleaning and repairing them and putting them back in service. To do that, the internal parts must be accessed, and that is my question: how? Dan

J. Gomez

Quote from: Dan Koser on August 01, 2016, 06:05:40 PM
It does, but it does not answer the question "What is the procedure for accessing the internal parts of the solenoid?" Section 17 talks about replacing the solenoid under certain conditions...this thread is about cleaning and repairing them and putting them back in service. To do that, the internal parts must be accessed, and that is my question: how? Dan

Dan,

The solenoid internal is straight forward and only a few pieces can be removed such as the plunger, the spacer, trip plate and the metal ball bearing. The rest electrical coil and spinning nut that rides in the worm screw are non-removable.

Attached is the previous page from the Delco bulletin for the 6-way seat motor from the one I’ve attached to “1956 six way electric seat - solenoid replacement” post.

HTH

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Coupe Deville

Quote from: Coupe on February 04, 2009, 08:41:31 AM
If the motor is working chances are it's either one or more of the solenoids are not activating due to a broken wire or the old grease is binding them up. My '57 suffered from both issues when I bought it. I soldered the wire back on and cleaned and greased the entire assembly, solenoids, jack screws and linkage etc. Works fine now.
x2

Same thing on my 57'. Cleaned up the transmission and solenoids, re-greased, and it worked like a charm. I also added a ground wire directly to the seat trans. case. That solved some problems as well.
Sometimes the ground gets overlooked on old cars.

Best of luck

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Dan Koser

Quote from: J. Gomez on August 01, 2016, 07:10:33 PM
Dan,

The solenoid internal is straight forward and only a few pieces can be removed such as the plunger, the spacer, trip plate and the metal ball bearing. The rest electrical coil and spinning nut that rides in the worm screw are non-removable.

Attached is the previous page from the Delco bulletin for the 6-way seat motor from the one I’ve attached to “1956 six way electric seat - solenoid replacement” post.

HTH

Good luck..!
Very helpful...thanks. Dan

Dan Koser

Quote from: Coupe Deville on August 01, 2016, 07:58:55 PM
x2

Same thing on my 57'. Cleaned up the transmission and solenoids, re-greased, and it worked like a charm. I also added a ground wire directly to the seat trans. case. That solved some problems as well.
Sometimes the ground gets overlooked on old cars.

Best of luck

-Gavin
Gavin, you say you cleaned up the solenoids....did you have to remove the seat from its frame in order to get to the parts in each solenoids? I have been able to get to most of the parts of the front solenoid, but the middle and rear ones look very tough without the seat being removed from the frame.  Dan