News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

A few questions about a early Cadillac Eldo

Started by GoManGo1946, February 02, 2009, 01:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoManGo1946

Hey guys,
I may have the chance to grab an early 80s Eldo. One owner car in very very clean condition. Garaged all these years except the last 8 months. Death in the family of one of my customers. Anyway, I have the chance to roll this car into a bid for some construction work I am going to do for them. I am thinking of getting the car for my wife as a daily driver. Unsure of the miles but from what I did see from 50 ft away it looks in fantastic shape. It does have the stainless steel roof, not sure if that is an option. Pros and cons of these years Cadillacs??? I am gonna guess its an 1983.
Rough dollar value on this car??? I have about $1500.00 in mind.

I thank you in advance for your time.

Adam
1946 Cadillac 60 Special Fleetwood

Adam & Kirstin Bieszart
Wheaton Illinois

Otto Skorzeny

Find out EXACTLY what year it is and what engine it has.

The infamous HT4100 was introduced in 1982. There are discussions ad nauseum about that engine on this forum. Use the search function. Don't figure too much into the bid for that car, though.

If you're really lucky, maybe it will have the V 8-6-4 under the hood!

For $1500 you probably can't go wrong if the cosmetics are as good as you say.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

GoManGo1946

Adam & Kirstin Bieszart
Wheaton Illinois

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

You asked whether the stainless steel roof was an option.  It is actually part of the Biarritz package which includes leather interior in the tufted instead of panel style, thicker carpet and a few other items.

GoManGo1946

Thank you. Does that have any impact on the Value? ( not that that is a huge deal to me) Just want a nice clean car for the wife....With a good engine!

Adam

Adam & Kirstin Bieszart
Wheaton Illinois

Johnny

Quote from: GoManGo1946 on February 02, 2009, 07:02:01 PM
Thank you. Does that have any impact on the Value? ( not that that is a huge deal to me) Just want a nice clean car for the wife....With a good engine!

Adam

Find out the year, then we can better give some advice.

TJ Hopland

Sounds like you are dealing with the 3rd gen FWD body style that went 79-85.   If I had room for another car I would pay $1500 for a nice looking decent running one.  Most exceptionally cleans ones are asking much more than that.   Thats the period with the most debated / hated engines so be ready for a endless debate once you find out what year and what engine it has. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

You asked if the Biarritz package increased the value, so I checked Manheim Gold Classic Car Guide on-line.  They didn't have a listing for Eldorados after 1980, but for that year and 1979 it stated "Add $500 for Biarritz". I think the 1979-85 are some of the best-looking Cadillacs of all time and the stainless steel roof makes them even more so, especially on dark-colored cars. I also agree with the man who said to avoid the 1982-1985 models with the HT4100 engine.

GoManGo1946

Thank you guys.

I will dig in deeper if I my bid/deal goes through. It may be 1980 or earlier.

Adam

Adam & Kirstin Bieszart
Wheaton Illinois

TJ Hopland

71-78 were the much larger body style.  They were pretty similar in size through that period. From the sides there were fairly subtle changes in the basic lines.  75 they dropped the rear fender skirts.  74 they went to horizontal tail lights under the trunk lid.  Previous years the tail lights were in the vertical fins. Grills changed year to year. 

The 79-85 were much smaller.  They still had a fairly long hood with the sort of pointed fenders.  The trunk looked fairly short.  The back window was fairly vertical which gave the back of the roof a fairly squared look. 79's had olds 350 w/an analog multiport EFI.  I believe 80 still had the Olds and added a DEFI 368. There may have also been a 4bbl 368 in some areas .  81 standard was the DEFI 8-6-4 368.  Somewhere in there was also a Buick V6 option.  Most of those years the Olds 350 Diesel was an option.  82-85 was the HT4100 standard.  If you dont know about the 4100 do a search here and be ready for pages and pages endless debate.  The 8-6-4 was also up there for mixed opinions but at least most of its issues were electrical and easily bypassed.  The base engine was solid.  Im thinking 81 or 82 was when the OD transmission came out.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

GoManGo1946

WOW and thank you. That is a ton of knowledge right there!!!!

Adam

Adam & Kirstin Bieszart
Wheaton Illinois