News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

53 Caddy Trim Tag decoding

Started by Mike Sloan, February 05, 2009, 04:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sloan

Can anyone direct me to a site that can decode a 53 cadillac trim (cowl ) tag?

Here is the info I have

Style 53-6267X
Body number FW 5423
Trim no 48
Paint no  1      H      R
top   5      ACC   E         9

Thanks

Mike

Chris Conklin

After you arrive at the site below you click on the link below the color thumbnails that says "For a comprehensive color listing...". Scroll through the document to the '53s.

http://www.lidreamboats.org/1953cad.html
Chris Conklin

Chris Conklin

Oops, sorry  :-[ Just looked myself and noticed that a lot of them don't have all the trim data either.
Chris Conklin

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Paint is black, trim is red leather.  R is radio, E is tinted glass, H is heater. Top should be black. My favorite combination. HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Mike Sloan

Thanks for all the Help!! We purchased the Caddy and are now taking it apart for complete restoration. We also found a 53 Eldorado that we are restoring and will be for sale this summer. If anyone is interested in a pre purchase let me know. It is a Azure Blue numbers matching car (frame VIN matched the engine VIN).

Thanks

Mike
765-307-4456

Jeff Maltby 4194

Philip screws for plate tag attachment ?

1996 Old Car Price Guide #6 $2,800-5 $8,900-4 $14,800-3 $29,600-2 $51,800-1 $74,000.

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Otto Skorzeny

Quote from: Jeff Maltby 4194 on February 21, 2009, 03:03:00 PM
Philip screws for plate tag attachment ?

Right. That's worth looking into a bit further. Has the car undergone a previous restoration? Those should be rivets, Mike.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Ross Morgan #22943

Mike, the last digit on the dataplate "9" was only recently decoded, I believe, by Matt Larson et al and represents a day of the month and apparently repeats perfectly from 1-31 increasing generally with increasing body numbers.  I haven't asked what it represents, ie, the day that the dataplate was stamped, or perhaps the day of production etc.  I bring this up for those who might, like myself, have a serious problem with having to know everything about their Cadillac! 

Ross Morgan
Perth, Australia.

Mike Sloan

Yes, the car has had some work done, we plan on putting the correct rivits back in place. The frame does match the engine and we had the vin information work done which matches all the info on the data plate, everything is correct!

Thanks

Mike  :)

Art Woody

If you have anything original on your '53, it's the philips screws in your data plate. This has been hashed over before on this site not too long ago. If you put rivets in a data plate of a '53 which is embossed for screws, like yours, it will not be correct. You can get several testimonies from '53 owners to this fact, including mine. Maybe not every '53 has screws, but your does have the embossing for the screws. Mine has the exact same style with the same screws and is unquestionably original. A study of production VIN  may be helpful in determining a discrepancy.

Dave Ventresca

I agree with Art. I have had several original early 50's cads and they all had screws holding the dataplate. I took them off to see the paint underneath. good place to get the correct unfaded color.Dave