News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1954 Cadillac Wind wings

Started by Bill Young, February 08, 2009, 02:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Young

Hello,
Regarding the 1954 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible and perhaps also the Eldorado Convertible , at least originally at the outset of the model year the cars had wind wings not actual full vent windows and the front door window glass extended all the way to the windshield post. My question is was there a mid year changeover to an actual vent window and at what vehicle Id No.?
I ask this as my friend has recently purchased a '54 Series 62 Conv. all original and it has the wind wings , also the original data book shows wind wings , however there is a '54 Series 62 Convt. on E-Bay presently tht has actual vent windows. A reply would be greatly appreciated. Bill Young mercguy1@aol.com
Sincerely ,
Bill Young Member CLC , Western New York Chapter

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

According to the Authenticity Manual [that I can't lay my hands on right now!] there was a mid year change over to proper vent windows.
Phil

Richard Sills - CLC #936

The wind wings (instead of regular vent windows) were used for a portion of the 1954 model year in the Cadillac Eldorado convertible, Cadillac Series 62 convertible, and also the Buick Roadmaster and Super convertible which used the same basic body as the Cadillac.  I believe Bill is correct that this feature was found in the early cars, and there was a change-over part-way during the model year to the vent windows.

I don't know whether anyone will be able to pin-point the date or VIN number as of which the change took place.  You might try contacting Frank Pinola of Hatrrisburg, PA, whose phone number is in the directory -- he has a '54 Eldorado and is very knowledgeable about '54 Cadillacs.

Richard