News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1930 Cadillac questions

Started by David Brommerich #23661, February 11, 2009, 07:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Brommerich #23661

I have 2 questions.  

1. My 1930 Cadillac 353 does not have the stud bolts drilled into the heads for the spark plug cover.  Could these be drilled in and threaded on the car?

2.  I have a steering column for a 1930 Cadillac and would like to take off the horn button and 2 switches.  I took off the bottom shaft bearing and the switches only come out of the shaft about 1 inch.  What do I do?

Johan Boltendal #158

HI
Your first question; the debry from the drill would get into your cooling system, no doubt, but it will be little, together with the debry aleady present
it will do no harm. What I do not know is,if heads, that are not threaded from the factory, have enough body to drill the hole, you may want to find this out with a very small drill and meausre the material thickness, if it's to little, a small screw or plug will close the small hole relatively easy.

Your second question: if you have the tube only attached, no gears, light switch or horn wire, the rods together with the spiders and levers should come out,
it is nowhere fastened, except for the lower part below the steering housing. What might be is the fact, the upper bearing has become hard,you could add
some marvel oil or a like, also around the rods are copper anti rattle bushes the may cause a bit of etra trouble, but normally the rods come out with ease.
Please do not try to force the parts out from above you will damage the casted inner parts in a whimp.
Good luck Johan