News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1988 Fleetwood D'Elegance FWD

Started by Baza, February 09, 2009, 04:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baza

Hi Guys
Can anyone help me with a problem on My 1988 Cadillac Fleetwood d'Elegance Vin No. 1G6CB515XJ4246646.
I have a wheel wobble on the front Drivers side wheel, a couple of months ago it was only noticeable at around 60 mph but now it has got worse and vibrates/wobbles more in the 40 - 50 range. I suspect a front wheel bearing to be the cause. Can anyone advise if this is the probable cause and is it a reasonably easy job to replace the bearing itself or does it come as part of a whole unit.
If so can you recommend a supplier, and any idea on the cost of the part.
Many thanks
Barry
Barry Ashdown

mgbeda

If you haven't already done so, check the tire first.  A broken radial belt can cause a bad shimmy, even while the tire looks good from the outside.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Ohio57-62Sedan

I would rotate the tires... just to see if it moves to the back of the car.. Before the vibration did the front wheels growl or hum real loud??

Aaron Hudacky

As others have said, check your tires. They will have a major impact on how your car drives. The rapid degradation in smoothness makes me think your tire's belts are breaking down. I recently had a similar problem with my '79 Coupe deVille, where the steering wheel shook badly starting around 15 mph and the car pulled hard to the right. At 70 mph, it shook and pulled to the extent that it felt unsafe. I replaced all four tires and one wheel, and it no longer shakes or pulls at all. The difference the tires made on my car is amazing.
1970 Eldorado
1978 Coupe deVille
1979 Coupe deVille
2008 Subaru STI

Baza

Thanks a bunch guys,
If it ever stops raining over the weekend I'll check this one out, can't see anything obvoius from the outside but as y ou say maybe there is damage to the wall on the inside or broken belts in the tread area.
Thanks again
Barry
Barry Ashdown

35-709

While you have the left front jacked up to check that tire, grab the top and bottom of the tire and push in on the top while pulling out on the bottom, alternating pushing and pulling.  Then grab the front and rear of the tire and try to shake it back and forth that way, if there is more than just a little play then you may have more than a tire problem.  If you are able to spin the tire by hand with the car in neutral (be sure the car is well chocked) and the tire appears to be egg shaped or lumpy then you may well have a tire problem.  Whichever problem you have you are most likely going to have to take the car to a shop.  A good tire shop can diagnose your problem and fix it whether it is a bearing or loose/bad front end component or (of course) a tire problem.  I would drive the car there slowly and carefully, whatever your problem it is obviously getting worse and failure of something could be imminent. 

I most certainly would not drive the car anywhere other than directly to a shop you use, and if you encounter a lot of play while shaking that tire and wheel I would consider having it towed.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2