News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

need help with 1966 shift indicator

Started by dustinwinkle, February 14, 2009, 01:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustinwinkle

I am restoring a 1966 deville and am ready to put the dash back in the car.  I cannot find the shift indicator nor remember taking it out of the car.  Can anyone tell me where it attaches or have any pictures of one?  Any help or suggestions would be wonderful!!  I cannot find any info in my shop manual about the shift indicator.

Lars Kneller 8246

It attaches with one small screw to the part of the steering column that moves with the shift lever.

Walter Youshock

There is a square hole on the lower passenger side of the steering column.  IF you didn't remove the hex screw that held the indicator in place and just popped the clip out--that's where it goes.

It is a curvy metal large-gauge wire that has a white painted tip on it. 

Really, before you dropped the steering column to remove the cluster, you should have remembered to have popped out the indicator, otherwise, you could have broken the glass window in the cluster (like I did).

Once everything is back in place, you can reposition the indicator and snap it back into the column. There is an Allen screw toward the front you can loosen.  Move the shift lever to DR(4) and reposition the indicator and tighten the Allen screw.  All the other indications should be correct after that.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Ohio57-62Sedan