News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

41 Grill restoration

Started by Gerald MacPherson, February 15, 2009, 02:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerald MacPherson

The front grill of my 41 convertible coupe seems to be looking pretty good from a distance, so I wanted to clean it up.  The horizonal pieces still have a nice chrome and polished stainless look (although there is pitting and pimples), but the vertical slats look rusted and pretty well corroded.  I can;t tell if these were originally stainless and someone has chromed over them as the sides of the slats have some rust and they are pretty corroded.  How are they supposed to be finished ?  Maybe someone has a NOS grill they want to part with ?  (Smiley with red ears) Gerald MacPherson

Doug Houston

The verticals on the grille were chromium plated steel.  I've had a couple of  sets of them replated, and they turned out fine, but they're a stinker to keep polished and preserved. Sure, that was about 40 years ago, but just the same, you just can't keep them looking perfect.

My recommendation is to get a set of them in Stainless steel from Mc Vey.  I have a total of four '41 Cadillacs, and they will all have Mc Vey's verticals eventually. I think a set is less than 300 bucks.

One other thing, on the subject of Mc Vey. I bought a set of the fender spears from them (all except 60S), and I was overwhelmed at how perfect they are. The original ones could never have been better!

Finding a NOS grille?  That's the stuff that dreams are made of. If your grille base (the die cast part) is anything near nice, keep it polished, and let well enough alone. Otherwise, prepare to throw a few thousand smackers at it, and there is no guarantee that it'll be perfect.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Gerald MacPherson