All Cads

Author Topic: 1956 Cadillac Coupe window rubber question  (Read 1191 times)

Offline carguyblack

  • Posts: 850
  • Name: Chuck Dykstra
1956 Cadillac Coupe window rubber question
« on: February 16, 2009, 04:49:46 PM »
I'm restoring a 1956 Coupe DeVille and purchased a window filler rubber from Steele - part #70-2024-73
calling it "Roof rail at Quarter window seal". I have exhausted my searching as to where these things are to go and am hoping someone out there has recently put these same pieces in their car and could give me a tip! They appear too thin to accept the thick chrome surrounded side glass edge or the quarter glass thickness either.
Additionally there doesn't seem to be a screw hole at any point along the roof rail  where this thing would make sense. With the window flippers up there anyway, I can't see the need nor the vacancy where these should be. I know it was on the car originally, because I have the 2 old brittle ones off in a bag. Help, please! Thanks much, Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Offline Walter Youshock

  • Posts: 2970
Re: 1956 Cadillac Coupe window rubber question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 06:16:15 PM »

It goes inside the mechanical weatherstrip all the way to the rear and should attach with the most rearward screw inside the mechanical strip.  The metal tab should point toward the front of the car.  The piece should have a section shaped like a "U" when placed on a flat surface looking down on it.  The bottom of the "U" should point toward the inside of the car on either side.

It seals the rear of the door window and the front of the rear quarter window top corners.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 07:56:10 PM by Walter Youshock »
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham


Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13