News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Carburetor Base and Rebuild kit suggestions?

Started by Quinton Bradford #25053, February 17, 2009, 04:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quinton Bradford #25053

Hello, I have a 1963 Deville with a 390. I am in search of the base that sits between the carburetor and the intake manifold and the PVC valve hose connects to it. It has a nozzle protruding out for the connection. This nozzle is broken on mine. Does anyone have one of these that they can spare or refer me to a place to get one?  Also, since I've got the Carburetor off, is there a good rebuild kit out there that you have used and can recommend?  Thanks so much for your time.  Please see the image below.  I need one like it.
Quinton Bradford
1963 Cadillac DeVille - "Gertie"

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Quinton,

I would take your carburetor base to a machine shop and see if they can fix it for you. It may be possible to thread a new nipple into the base after the remains of the old one are cleaned up/out.

As for a good carburetor shop, I have good experience with this company:

Daytona Parts Company
386-427-7108
www.daytonaparts.com
mail@daytonaparts.com

This company assembles nearly all the carburetor kits sold by other suppliers. They have the largest archive of original carburetor blueprints from the original manufacturers in the world. They make kits for virtually every automotive carb made from 1900 to 1980.

They also do top quality rebuilding of carburetors for those who don't wish to do it themselves.

Ask for Ron Hewitt or Tim Hewitt.

Another member of this forum has recommended another company that he has had good luck with. I don't recall the name but it should be easy to find using the Search function above.

Any new developments with the harmonic balancer?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Quinton Bradford #25053

Thanks Forrest,
Thanks for the info! I have pulled and pushed up and down on the harmonic balance wheel and it doesn't budge, so I'm taking that as a good sign!  Once I get that looked into, I want to move onto the carburetor. I will see if someone can repair the base plate I have.  I think it is made of some kind of composite so it may be easy to work with when adding a new nozzle.  We'll see.  I will keep you updated!
Quinton Bradford
1963 Cadillac DeVille - "Gertie"

Otto Skorzeny

That's good to hear, Quinton

Another guy posted on your balancer question with a good point. The pulley screws onto the front of the balancer and may be cock-eyed if it's on wrong. Did thepully itself move at all or could you see a gap between it and the front of the balancer?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE