News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Has anyone tried replacing their convertible top THEMSELVES ???

Started by Tommy, February 15, 2009, 01:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy

Has anyone tried replacing the convertible top themselves??? I have a 1970 deville convertible and I'm thinking of trying it myself!!! Any suggestions ???

RobW

You'll need a helper or two and some glue either spray cans or in a spray gun. Not all that hard to do just make sure everything fits before you glue.
You might also want to get a price on having it installed. Probably not much savings by DIY.
Rob Wirsing

TommyO

Just my point of view, but I wouldn't recommend DIYing it AT ALL!  I did a Jeepster years ago when I was in college, and much more limber than I am today! What a Pain!  I assume your talking about replacing a Caddy Top?  Not me!  On the same token, Shop around and check references.  Don't take the first auto top guy you find in the yellow pages.

tom
Tomeo

76eldo

Sorry,

Not a DIY type of job at all.

A quality top, professionally installed, will last for a very long time on a pampered collector car. Leave it to the pros.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Doug Houston

I'll add my vote to all of the others. I have a '41 Chevrolet convertible, and bought a new top kit from Hampton Coach. some years ago.  It was a masterpiece of fabrication. The kit came with a beautifully made top, correct to the last detail, all of the necessary hardware, pads, supplies, and so on.

The 1940-41 Fisher body manual goes through a fine process for installing the tops on cars, and following it, I installed the top. It didn't turn out bad, but it was far from what I would have wanted from a shop.

A couple of nyears ago, I had a new stayfast top installed on my '41 Cadillac convertible coupe by a good trim shop. Oh sure, it was $2000, but absolutely gorgeous.

I'm going to have them re-do the Chevy.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

The Tassie Devil(le)

I replaced the top on my '55 Chev Convertible back in 1976, with the assistance of a retired upholsterer, and it turned out well.

But, the reason I did it myself was because there was nobody around here that did those things.   Plus, I was cheap.

But, my pholosyphy is, if someone can do something, there is no reason that I cannot do it myself, with enough self education, reading and thinking.   It takes time, and place and measure three times before cutting, nailing or gluing.

And, it is very satisfying when completing a task.

You WILL need at least one other person to lend a hand, and remember that the replacement tops are pre-cut to fit, so you won't have to do much trimming.

AND, get the Workshop Manual, as that will describe step by step, the way to do it.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Any Warranty Work, you will have to perform yourself.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I have done this twice on a 1969 Deville convertible, once in 1977 and once in 1989. It is a very difficult job because of the size of the vehicle. You definitely need a helper to do this. Both times, I ended up with a passable job.

The most important part is getting the top correctly located across what is called the rear trimstick. If this is correct, the whole top is going to line up correctly. You will probably find that the tacking strips that hold the top are rotten and will not hold tacks. It is best to replace the while the top is off. You should also plan on replacing the pads, since they determine how the top will fit.

You also need to decide whether you want to replace the rear curtain and whether you want glass or plastic back there. Glass is pricey and heavier to handle.

A Fisher Body manual would be helpful, but these tops come with very good instructions.

Again, this is difficult and not for the faint of heart. However, if you are careful, you can do it.

Philippe M. Ruel

One trick : NEVER replace a vinyl convertible top when the weather is cold ! When it gets warmer, the plastic will soften and expand, the top will hang miserably - a dead giveaway for an amateur job.
You should adjust it under hot summer sun, or in a garage heated to the maximum temperature the car will ever be parked (say, 100°F). A car painting room is the best place for this purpose. The material itself should be stowed in such a warm place at least several days before use.

This is one among many other things that are not written in books or manuals, as they are dedicated to professional use. If you decide to do it yourself, I suggest it should be at least under "someone-who-knows'" supervision.
1952 60 Special in France.

Roger Zimmermann

The person who did the upholstery for my Biarritz did a miserable job with the top. At the end, I installed it myself when the weather was warm. I pretend that it is well installed but it's not an easy job.
I installed another top on a '55 Eldorado; the result was not so good because the top has been stored in bad conditions. I could not install the rear plastic window winkle free on this car.
Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

RobW

OK maybe I should have mentioned that I was a bodyman for about 18 years give or take and did my share of tops over the years, so I would think nothing of it. However I still think that with a few helpers to handle the size of the top and some patience lining thingsup, it can be done.
Rob Wirsing