News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Penalty of Leadership Ad Reproduced?

Started by BJM, February 19, 2009, 12:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJM

I would like one for a couple of reasons. I want one for my work desk and I want one for my CEO.

Are there any being reproduced?

Walter Youshock

There was a reprint done in 1954, although not of the original ad.  It was done on bonded paper with a gold-embossed torch logo and was done by Cadillac or GM.  I have a copy of it.  It might have been a commemorative press release or some other advertising tool.

Other than that, I've never seen another reproduction or reprint.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Alfred Gee

Find a 1990 owners manual, they did it up very nicely on the first page.  It's printed on onion skin and it frames up very nicely, that's what I did for my office.

Cheers!

Alfred
1981 Seville Elegante
2008 CTS

Walter Youshock

Right you are!

They did it for a few years in the late '80's and early '90's Owner's Manuals.  Matter of fact, I have a few spares in not so good shape.

I have to dig through the archives, but the 1954 reprint was really nice with a late Art Deco look on 8.5x11 paper.  Once I find it, I'll scan and post it..
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Bryan Moran

Thanks all. These are really hard to find even on ebay.

Doug Houston

It had to be in the seventies, even, that the article was reproduced. I have a copy, measuring about 20X24 inches. I framed it, and it hangs among my prized posessions. I never saw another.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

35-709

Here it is for those who may not have seen it.  I imagine you could print it out and take it to a print shop or Office Depot/Staples and have it done up on fancy paper suitable for framing.

The Penalty of Leadership

In every field of human endeavor, he that is first must perpetually live in the white light of publicity. Whether the leadership be vested in a man or in a manufactured product, emulation and envy are ever at work. In art, in literature, in music, in industry, the reward and the punishment are always the same. The reward is widespread recognition; the punishment, fierce denial and detraction. When a man’s work becomes a standard for the whole world, it also becomes a target for the shafts of the envious few. If his work be merely mediocre, he will be left severely alone - if he achieve a masterpiece, it will set a million tongues a-wagging. Jealousy does not protrude its forked tongue at the artist who produces a commonplace painting. Whatsoever you write, or paint, or play, or sing, or build, no one will strive to surpass or to slander you, unless your work be stamped with the seal of genius. Long, long after a great work or a good work has been done, those who are disappointed or envious continue to cry out that it cannot be done. Spiteful little voices in the domain of art were raised against our own Whistler as a mountebank, long after the big world had acclaimed him its greatest genius. Multitudes flocked to worship at the shrine of Wagner, while the little group of those whom he had dethroned and displaced argued angrily that he was no musician at all. The little world continued to protest that Fulton could not build a steamboat, while the big world flocked to the river to see his boat steam by. The leader is assailed because he is the leader, and the effort to equal him is merely added proof of that leadership. Failing to equal or to excel, the follower seeks to depreciate and to destroy - but only confirms once more the superiority of that which he strives to supplant. There is nothing new in this. It is as old as the world and as old as the human passions - envy, fear, greed, ambition, and the desire to surpass. And it all avails nothing. If the leader truly leads, he remains - the leader. Master-poet, master-painter, master-workman, each in his turn is assailed, and each holds his laurels through the ages. That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. That which deserves to live - lives.

By Theodore F. MacManus 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

homeonprunehill

02-24-09
TO: All readers. No one has stated why the ad was ran in the first place! Jim
I will give readers "A HINT"  we still are having trouble with these people.
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Walter Youshock

I'm going to take a stab at Foreign Competition.

Once Cadillac won the Dewar Trophy, which was supposed to always go to Rolls-Royce, Cadillac became the "Standard of the World" for interchangeability of parts.

Am I close?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

homeonprunehill

02-24-09
Walter YOUschock, not close to what I have read. Walter, did you read my hint? jim

Walter Youshock

What am I missing? 

How about another hint...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Chris Conklin

Quote from: homeonprunehill on February 24, 2009, 12:34:38 PM
"A HINT"  we still are having trouble with these people.

The year of the ad has to make you think Germany (BMW today?  the 5-series being in the sights of the CTS-V). I had always thought it was simply addressing the issue of responsibility and maintaining success in general terms. Great risk / Great reward. Found this explanation, don't know of it's accuracy but I am sure that Packard is not who we are still having trouble with today.

"In 1915, Cadillac, which had previously marketed its high quality as an automobile manufacturer, suffered quality problems on its 1915 V8 Touring model. Rival Packard was quick to jump on this and began attacking Caddy for its problems. Cadillac marketing man Theodore MacManus responded with a simple print ad called "The Penalty of Leadership". This legendary piece, which never mentions Cadillac by name, was a huge success. Even 30 years later in 1945 it was voted the best ad of all time by the industry. As recently as 1998, Advertising Age ranked it 49th out of the top 100 all time ad campaigns."

It's ranked 49th all time... what's first? "Got milk"?  ;D
Chris Conklin

Walter Youshock

I was leaning in that direction, too.  But, the trouble in 1919 with Germany was a lot different than it is now.  BMW wasn't around.

Hope Jim lets us know.  It's like the Riddle of the Sphinx.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Otto Skorzeny

Still having trouble with Packard?

MacManus (the author)  himself stated that the ad was a success because "...almost every man considers himself a leader and secretly suspects that he is a victim of enmity and injustice."

So Prune, do you mean that we're having trouble today with so many people believing that they are victims? It's not my fault I can't pay my mortgage! It's not my fault I can't pay my credit card bills. I need someone to pay for my health care! etc. etc.

If so, I agree with you.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Otto Skorzeny

More interesting information about this ad.

In 1967 Cadillac mailed out scrolls of “The Penalty of Leadership” to its customer list.

Elvis Presley was on that list. After he read it, he said that even though it had been written before he was born, the author could have just as well been writing about him.

Elvis framed the scroll and hung it near the desk in his office at the Graceland. It still hangs in there today and can be seen by everyone who visits.
fward

homeonprunehill

02-24e-09
Chris & Walter, When I was in the USAF,I worked  for this LT. COL.Who happen to be a cool head.  Somewhere,I had gotten a Calendar on individiual cards and the ad was on  one card. I was trying to copy the ad ,but couldn't make out the "Ding-bats" at the end of each sentence. Well The COL. came to work the next day with a copy of the "origional ad" and a copy of the reason why it was printed in the first place. Seems a group of Saudi Arabians set a Cadillac on fire. Little diid I know then what I know now or else I
would have ask for the news paper. Chris, put into google, Packard Motor Car Company. Regards,Jim

Walter Youshock

Well, there's a problem that'll never be solved.

Why was the car burned?  What purpose did that serve?  Or what was being protested, I wonder?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Chris Conklin

Quote from: homeonprunehill on February 24, 2009, 07:09:55 PM
Chris, put into google, Packard Motor Car Company. Regards,Jim

Hahaha - I am aware of what Packard was; poor writing on my part. I was continuing the string of "who we are having trouble with" and saying I am sure it is not Packard, as cited in the quote.

And BMW. They are my favorite mode of transport, but not their cars. Much better bikes, at least as far as costs are concerned. My daily driver was a BMW K1200LT until recently (12K miles a year, fantastic touring rig!). I no longer have to commute very far or very often, if at all. A rarity in Southern California. My wife is pleased that I am retiring from two-wheeled transport, but it accommodates an addiction to an old Cadillac. Well... somewhat old... '60's era.

Back to the meat of the discussion - Jim; the Saudis burned a Cadillac and that sparked the ad (pardon the pun)? In 1915? Did we have that much of a presence there at that time? Probably so. I guess the inference is that the Cadillac was the flag. And, once upon a time, burning the flag was unheard of. Now, there is probably an "app" for your iPhone that replicates a burning flag.
Chris Conklin

homeonprunehill

02-24-09
Chris I'am going to date myself with what I have to say now. Year ago Cadillacs sold more in foreign countrys then then did in the  USA. Thats what I read. As far as the owner of the Cad. that was  burned the best I remember it belong to an oil man(No doubt a rich one) Or a leader of the country.

Otto Skorzeny

That Saudi thing has nothing to do with this ad published in 1915. The US had no presence in the Middle East at that time. Oil wasn't being exploited in the region until well after WWI.

When did this incident take place and why would anyone care about it in 1915? I have never heard or read that as being the reason for the ad. It really makes no sense at all when you think about it.

The Packard angle is the only believable explaination I've heard. After all, ads are placed to sway buyers from competing products and encourage them to purchase yours.

I seriously doubt Cadillac would have run an ad to counter an act of desecration to one of their products in a country that (then) nobody heard of or cared about save for the fact that the British were fighting there in a World War. More important things would have made the paper than some nimrod setting fire to a car.

If anybody has evidence to the contrary, I would love to see it.

fward