News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Best tires for a 1931 Cadillac?

Started by tigers dad, February 19, 2009, 05:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigers dad

In general, what are the best white wall tires for a 1931 Cadillac?  As you know, the weight of the car has to be taken into consideration.  I currently have heavy duty highway tires that are black walls and are now flat sided from the car sitting for several months creating a shimmer in the front end.  Thanks!  Jay

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

tigers dad

The car is a model 355-A Town Car.

Thanks!

Jay

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Jay,

If I'd had to guess, I'd have thought your car weighed a lot more than what it says in the specs. 4675lbs is less than my Coupe de Ville. 

For standard rims the tire size is 650x19 for demountable rims the size is 700x18

From your description, I'm guessing you have 700x18 since I don't see any heavy duty highway jobs in the other size.

Coker Tire makes a Firestone 4.25" WW that's rated at 1525lbs load capacity.That's more than sufficient for your car since I doubt you'll be flying down the highway with 2000lbs of stuff in it. The heavy duty highway tires you have on your car now have a load capacity of about 2600lbs. That's like a truck tire!

If you were planning on touring with that car for thousands of miles I'd stick with that style.

http://store.coker.com/

If you're only getting new tires because of the flat spots and not because you want white walls, you may want to rotate the tires and drive the car on several longish trips on warm days. Once they warm up they might get round again.
fward

Walter Youshock

...and, when you're ready to take that Town Car for a ride, I am more than available to fill the rear passenger seat.

I'll even buy you ONE new tire for the privilege.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

tigers dad

Ottoskorzeny,

Thanks for the advise.  You are right on both accounts................I do want white walls and the tires are truck tires.  I won't be cruising for several thousand miles in this beauty.  Just weekend country drives to Sonoma and Napa.  Thanks, again!

Jay

Otto Skorzeny

Now there's an idea! Help defray the cost of restoration by offering rides to people who buy parts for you!

Get your $256 out Walter! At that price he'll probably take you up on it!
fward

tigers dad

Hhhhmmmm????  Now there's an idea?!

Jay

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Jay, I've got a question. Do you have a town car[removeable roof over the front seat]  or a town sedan? Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

tigers dad

Bob,

The car is a Town Sedan.  No removable top on this one.

Jay

Walter Youshock

OOPS!!  Deal's off!

Thought it was a Town Car!

No, I'd still be honored to ride in it.  I'll buy you the tire if you pay to have the valves in my '57 redone...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

lester wax #155

I have a 31 LaSalle 5 pass coupe, I am running Lester Tires 6.50x19. On 19" wire wheels. Have had the LaSalle for almost 40 years and have had NO problem with the tires at all. And these are whitewall tires.
Any questions at all you can e-mail me back.

TonyZappone #2624

I recently removed a set of 7:50X17 Lesters from my 36 Pierce.  They were fairly worn, and they were square from day one, and never balanced properly.  The tires I put on were BF Goodrich 750x17, that were actually new takeoffs from a guy who buys new tires for every car he acquires (!)  I was prepared to balance, and even shave these new tires.  I mounted them on the car and they needed nothing.  No balancing, no shaving, right up to 70 mph.  For what its worth.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

tigers dad

Thanks all for the input.  I ended going with the Coker...............7.00 x 18  Set of 6 with tubes, flaps, mounting, balancing and freight was.......are you all sitting down?..............................a whopping $2,655.89  Ouch!!

Jay

tigers dad

PS:  Are you sure you don't want to go for a ride Walter?   

Ha! Ha!

Jay