News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Which door lock knob is more correct? 1938

Started by Bill Gauch #23121, February 26, 2009, 07:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gauch #23121

One of the few things I am missing on my '38 (Series 65) are the door lock knobs. Steele sells reproductions that are described as follows:

Item: 70-0660-70 Hard brown rubber, may be lacquered other colors as required. Most models (except those using chrome knobs).
Item: 70-0354-70 Neutral brown color rubber, 1/8" hole. Some models.

I bought one of each to see what they look like, but I have nothing to compare to.

I'm attempting to attach a picture. The one with "ribs" is the one that fits some models.

Any ideas which one more closely resembles the original?
WANTED: Nothing right now.

- 1938 Series 65 - 4-door sedan - Restoration (slowly) ongoing

http://38caddy.blogspot.com/

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

I am interested in the answer to this question also.  See attached picture.  The aluminum version was on the car (1938-9039) when I got it.  I suspect that it is a period aftermarket item since the original knobs seem to deteriorate rather quickly.  I don't remember for sure where I got the rubber ones but I think they are from a 1940 90 series limo.  I am using the bigger Steele ones in my restoration.  It is shaped like the rubber one in my picture but does not have the same ridges on it as the original rubber one I have. 
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Bill Gauch #23121

Yeah, I saw some on eBay a couple weeks ago that claimed to be original 38 knobs. The looked similar to the ribbed ones you have, although they looked like they were a lighter shade of brown. I guess I'll order 3 more of the bigger ones.
WANTED: Nothing right now.

- 1938 Series 65 - 4-door sedan - Restoration (slowly) ongoing

http://38caddy.blogspot.com/

Chris Bryant #19358

Hi Bill and Brad,

For what it is worth, my 38 60S which is under long-term restoration has the taller type of lock knob. It is beige and has the same horizontal ribs. So do 4 out of my six spare doors that are in various states of repair.

Cheers,

Chris Bryant #19358

Terry wenger CLC #1800

Gentlemen:

The brown rubber ones that Brad has shown are correct as far as I can determine. These have been reproduced as I had them in my 39-6167 and are in my 38-9039. The ones shown in McVey's catalog look to be correct. Steele's appear to be different. Brad's aluminum ones are probably from the Aubin Co. as replacements.

Chris, doesn't your 60S have slide locks on the door panel? The '39 & ''40 60S's do and the '38 60S has the same part number.

Terry

Bruce Berghoff - #1476

Bill... If you determine that the original "ribbed" rubber version that you found on your car is the one you want to use, I think Restoration Specialties in Windber. PA @  (814) 467-9842 carries a much closer reproduction than the one you received from Steele.

Bruce Berghoff - #1476

Bill... A correction to my message ... I was  referring to the original from Brad's car, and not the original from your car. Sorry about that ! BB

Doug Houston

I'm going from memory. We had GM cars from 1937 into the fifties. The lock knobs were more like the right hand knobs, first shown here. The difference was that, in place of the ridges, or "stepped" cylinder shape, there was a tapered shape from the shaft of the knob, to the head, and it had a knurl on it, rather than the stepped shape.

I have always observed that the metal knobs had been used on open cars, but that observation could be inaccurate. It was so on all of the open GM cars I had seen over those early years, even factory fresh.

At some point, the knobs were changed to the style with a "cap top" shape.  That would have been after WW II.  They were more desirable for pulling up on the lock rod.

First chance I have, I can look in my parts stash. I believe that there are some of the original knobs in it. Incidentally. if I'm correct, those original design knobs were done in rubber and also chromium plated metal.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929