News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

dyeing faded seatbelts

Started by jeff elliott CLC #23590, January 30, 2009, 04:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff elliott CLC #23590

hi, have any of you guys ever re-dyed faded seat belts? if so, any information would be welcome.
regards Jeff.

Otto Skorzeny

I think you would be better off buying new belts. They'll be safe, strong and look like new. They're available in almost every OEM color.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Warren Rauch

Old seat belts that have the correct buckels should not be discarded! They can at least be rewebed. Yes it will cost more than replacing with new styles. In my book the seat belts are far more important than glass codes.
The problem with redying is; the old dye was made into the thread. New dye will stay on the surface and rub off. Warren

Otto Skorzeny

That's what I meant and assumed people would realize that. Replace the belts not the buckles.

One of these colors is bound to match yours.

http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=sbp&Category_Code=Seat-Belt-Webbing
fward

jeff elliott CLC #23590

thanks for replies,
I have been offline for a while hence delayed response, do any of you guys know of similar companies that ship overseas.
regards Jeff

Otto Skorzeny

Here's another company that sells seat belts:

Custom Accessories Manufacturing
800-560-2358

I don't know their shipping policy but I can't imagine either of these companies not shipping overseas. As long as they get a credit card payment why would they not?
fward

jeff elliott CLC #23590

OK,
I will try custom accessories. seatbelts plus actually state on their site they will not ship overseas, which, as you say is a bit strange especially if a company were to be paid in advance by card, however, it is suprising how many companies don't ship outside of the US.
regards Jeff.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jeff,

I had always been surprised that people won't ship outside USA.

Then, when visiting USA in '02 and again in '08, I can now understand why.

Not many realise that there are places outside USA that have people living in them.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Some places simply don't want the hassles of completing the Customs Declarations and other paperwork that goes with posting overseas.   All they want to do is get UPS to come to their door and take the stuff away.   On many occasions, I have had to plead and beg people to send me stuff, and once they realise how easy it is, they continue to deal with me.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Otto Skorzeny

Jeff, do you know anybody in the US who could help you out? Maybe you could have it shipped to a UPS drop office and pay to have it forwarded. FedEx, etc. might be able to do this.
fward

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I've personally never dealt with this company but one of their specialties is rebuilding
and refurbishing seat belts.  I've seen their ads in Hemmings for over 15 years.
Their web site is:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/ShopByBrand/Ssnake-Oyl-Products

Worth a try, I would say.

As far as trying to dye them yourself, I would not recommend that.  If the fiber is that
worn it will most likely have lost tensile strength and not be up to saftey standards any
more.  Get them redone.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) (Bruce Reynolds) on February 26, 2009, 08:08:07 PM
G'day Jeff,

I had always been surprised that people won't ship outside USA.

Then, when visiting USA in '02 and again in '08, I can now understand why.

Not many realise that there are places outside USA that have people living in them.

PS.   Some places simply don't want the hassles of completing the Customs Declarations and other paperwork that goes with posting overseas.   All they want to do is get UPS to come to their door and take the stuff away.   On many occasions, I have had to plead and beg people to send me stuff, and once they realise how easy it is, they continue to deal with me.
Bruce, I think you're being a little hard on us. It sounds like you didn't have a good time in the US. That's too bad. Shipping out of the country IS a PITA. Every country has some sort of size limitation. Most of them are unrealistic. The costs are high. You guys think we're overcharging when we're not. Put it on a cheap slow boat you say, 6 months later you're crying it never arrived. Play games with the customs to save you money but insure it for full value. Doesn't work that way. Can't have your cake & eat it too. Why is your government taxing & worrying about old parts coming in? Unrealistic! Mind you this is not directed at you personally, but all overseas buyers of US parts. I DO ship overseas & have done so for years. So.. I know what I'm talking about. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Bob,

Every time I come to USA, and Canada, (actually, only been there twice), my wife and I have a wonderful time, except maybe for the horrendous heat of 2002 and the outrageous Airline prices in 2008, but all things considered, I haven't had that much trouble with suppliers, apart from one that blankly refused to post overseas, but I had the package delivered to a friend in USA, for on-shipping, but then they complained that I was using a Foreign Bank Account, even though it was a Visa Card transaction.   That meant that I had to have my friend pay for it, then I reimbursed the amount later on.   Some people are paranoid about something being paid for, then the paid for item being sent to another address.

But, in 2002, whilst travelling through 35 States, I made it a point to call in on my various constant suppliers to intreduce myself.   Never had a problem since.   Being a tall chap helps too.

I never complain about the time taken, as one 1960 Cadillac Dash Gauge Panel took 18 Months to arrive.   Took 3 attempts at getting past California before finally escaping.  And, the process started before 9-11.   Made a great mate out of that transaction.

But, I agree, never try to undervalue ANYTHING to try and evade Customs, as these people aren't stupid, and the fines and such are not worth the hassle..

PS.  What peeves me now is that USPS won't use Surface Parcel Post any more to addresses outsiude USA.   Even to Canada which is across the border.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV