News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Column shift rattles in '41 Cadillac

Started by Steve Matthews #19505, March 01, 2009, 03:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Matthews #19505

I have two sources of rattles in my steering column, one in the horn ring and one with the manual shift lever.  Here are my questions:

For the horn ring, it does not appear that I am missing any major parts.  But I notice on the bottom of the chrome ring (the one that screws to the steering wheel and holds the horn ring in place) that there might have been some small rubber stoppers between the horn ring and the chrome ring.  Is that the case and are these available?  I'm experimenting with short pieces of vacuum hose today to see if that works...

Secondly, I have a lot of rattle in my shift lever (up and down, as in toward the steering wheel and away).  When I look at where the lever connects (I have not removed the steering wheel yet) there is a lot of play there.  Was there some sort of rubber bushing or spring in there?

Many thanks for any insight-

Bob Schuman

Steve,
You are on the right track on the horn ring rattle. I believe there were small rubber pads originally used to prevent the rattle. I don't recall exactly what works best, just experiment with some thin(about 1/8") sponge rubber to fix the rattle. Then, never use the horn ring-it is delicate and will break easily. I always use the horn button in the center of the wheel.

For the shifter rattle it is a little more complex. At the top of the shifter tube, just below the shift lever, is a flat spring that is folded into a tight U shape. Its purpose, besides rattle elimination, is to make the shift lever spring back to the second-high gear side when pulled toward the wheel and released. I believe your spring is broken. To replace it, loosen the clamps on the two shifter arms at the bottom of the column and remove them. Remove the steering wheel, a puller usually being needed for this. Pull the shifter tube up through the shift lever and out of the column. Put a rag on the top end, to avoid staining the headliner. Now the spring and shifter lever are free. Install a replacement spring and reassemble everything, adjusting the shifter arms as the shop manual describes.

You noticed I didn't say where to get a spring. It is part number 1441678 in Group 20.0974, and you will need to contact various Cadillac vendors in hope of finding one. It's a 1941 only part, so good luck in finding one. I had to buy a complete steering column and steering gear to get one many years ago.

Before all that work, check the adjustment of the shifter arms on the bottom of the shifter tube. If they are allowing some lengthwise movement, that may be all that is wrong.
Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Steve Matthews #19505

Bob-

Thanks as always.  I noticed the part you refer to and it is either squished flat or is broken.  This is likely the problem on the shift lever.  But based on your description of the repair, I may have to learn to ignore the rattle!

Does anyone have a source for this part?  Thanks for your help-

Steve

homeonprunehill

03p-02-09
Steve, I don't have an answer where to get the spring. Except to make-one, if it is made of flat materal try metal banding stocik. You may ,have to use a vise and files to get the correct shape.Good Luck,Jim
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES