News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

WHAT THIS CLUB IS ALL ABOUT!

Started by John Tozer, March 01, 2009, 10:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Tozer

This is a longish story but one I think worthy of the telling.

Some years ago I purchased in Australia one of fifteen 1937 7513 model Imperial Cadillacs built worldwide. Six of these cars came "CKD" to General Motors Holden in Australia. I am eternally grateful to Mat Larson (and, Yes, I still owe him a Self Starter article on these cars) for the detailed and exhaustive investigation he carried out to track them down for me through the GM/Cadillac archives.

The car is one of only two or three (the third is unconfirmed) that remain of these cars worldwide and both are in a miserable condition. At a time when, in the US these late 30's cars were being stowed away, in Australia they were being run into the ground for want of new cars, particularly during and after World War 2. Both remaining cars illustrate this treatment and mine has, like most Aussie pre WW2 Cadillacs, a "tank" engine in it. After several years of total timber replacement, full mechanical re-build and a gradual collection (first through Hemmings and then Ebay) of enough parts to nearly complete the car, the fact that the body simply wasn't repairable without a healthy transplant of "gifted" panels from a donor car became clear (basically, no-one with metal rebuilding skills was prepared to touch it at any price) and it was beyond my ability to do it myself.

I began the search for a donor body and, in the course of establishing a number of Cadillac friends and acquaintances in the US, I met Gene Menne, Club member of Indiana who has three 1937 75/85 series cars. I thought at one stage that he might not need one of these but he has restoration plans for all three. He did however, undertake to keep an eye out for another body and, after a few false starts with Ebay bodies that were no better or, in fact, were worse than mine, Gene notified me of a candidate on Ebay in mid-October last year. The car looked good and the price was right, notwithstanding the daunting extra cost of landing it in Australia.

The problems started with my bidding on the car.

First the seller stated that he would only take bids from the US. I contacted him by email declaring my faultless buyer's 100%+ feedback rating and asking would he consider a bid from me. I received no reply. As the auction counted down I decided to bid anyway - faint heart never won fair lady and I have had to go out on a number of limbs to get the restoration of the car as far as it is already. I made two bids and won the car.

The seller point blank refused to proceed with the sale even though my two bids had increased his "gain" from the auction by over one third. Some firm but friendly threats and the intercession by Gene Menne had a deposit in the Seller's hands (Paypal so there was some recourse if the deal subsequently fell through) and the seller, who refused point blank to accept the balance from Paypal or to provide details of bank accounts for funds transfer, accepted the balance of the cash from Gene whom I then reimbursed.

The job wasn't done yet because, while the body and chassis of the car were complete, the rest (including the engine) was in parts and really needed to be re-assembled before it could be transported. I considered jumping a Qantas flight to the States but work pressures made this most unattractive at the time. That's when Gene and the Club member network came to the fore.

Gene jumped in his car, drove for 8 hours to spend 3 days assembling the car, arranged the workshop through another Club member, Jim Perryman, organised ground transport to California, title and a bill of sale and meticulously wrapped, protected and packed the rest of the parts in the car, then turned around and drove 8 hours home again. I met his costs but he wouldn't accept anything else.

The car arrived in California before Christmas and, after an eventful delivery in Sydney on 22 January, arrived safely and complete in Canberra last Tuesday. Having just spent the first weekend looking over the whole purchase it will now certainly fit with my plans to restore my rare RHD GM Holden vehicle.

The car itself was always a Fleetwood - it was just assembled and fitted out internally by Holden. The restoration of the car will be as much a cooperative venture as has the manufacture of the original car and the purchase and delivery of the donor. A very rare car will survive because of it.

...and it will illustrate why this Club is as special as it is! If you ever meet Gene Menne from Indiana, shake his hand because he is a true gentleman and a great friend. I have never met Jim Perryman but if you ever meet him, shake his hand too.

Regards,

John Tozer

John Tozer

I meant to attach this photo of the new car to the initial post......

John Tozer

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day John,

Great story, and see you in Bathurst next year.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Clubs are wonderful.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

John:

I know Gene  personally since, as you stated, he is a member of the Indiana Region.  Your description of Gene is right on.  Although his actions are well beyond what we in Indiana like to call “Hoosier Hospitality”, they do not surprise me in the least.  Gene is a true gentleman.  Of course, knowing this information now means that he is going to be assigned to write an article about his experience for our region’s newsletter!  Thanks for sharing this story with us.

Bill Hedge
Director
Indiana Region of the Cadillac & La Salle Club

tigers dad

What a great story!!  I have only been on the forum a short while since purchasing my 1931 Cadillac, and have nothing but "praise" and "thanks" to all the people who have helped me out and steered me in the right direction in locating parts and advise.  It is truly, "A Great Club"!

Jay
Novato, CA

Bill Gauch #23121

Nice story. Sounds like a good "Part 1" of a Self Starter article to me. Actually, throw in some pictures and it could probably stand alone as-is.
WANTED: Nothing right now.

- 1938 Series 65 - 4-door sedan - Restoration (slowly) ongoing

http://38caddy.blogspot.com/

Beege

Hi Caddy World,

Having purchased a 36-7513 (which i beleive is factory RHD) in Australia almost 2 years ago I came to a very quick realisation that John Tozer is also one of those "True Gentlemen" that is prepared to help out where ever he can. 

My 36 has a 3F4 tank engine fitted which John gave me a manual for.  (That's correct he gave it to me).  This manual is now covered in grease but it means that I get to use my 36 whenever i want.  He has also helped me out with heaps of invaluable information including the rear axle seal issue with these cars All of which i'm certain I would still be searching for to keep mine on the road if it wasn't for John.

Huge Thanks Again John

Beege
36-7513 8)