News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Ho much does my 41 6267 Weigh.

Started by paulp, March 03, 2009, 02:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulp

I should know this, I must have it around here someplace in my vast library of 41 stuff but I can't find it.  I need to find a tow vehicle to pull the trailer with my 41 Conv. to Las Vegas as I don't think my Durango will do it.  Im guessing between 3,000 and 4,000 dry Wt.  Please help. 
Paul Price  CLC 23300 
Paul N. Price   CLC 23300

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Paul,
According to Walter M. P. Mc Call's 80 Years of Cadillac La Salle it weighs 4,055 pounds although Hydra-Matic Drive, if your car is so equipped, would make it somewhat heavier. If your Durango is a 5.7 Hemi and has the towing package, I'd say it should easily tow your '41 and might even do it with the 4.7 and tow package. In the unlikely event that it's a V-6, I'd definitely look for another vehicle to tow it.

paulp

RUSTY:   Thanks, I really appreciate that.  That's about the only book I don't have, I will now get it.  I also appreciate your additional comments as I've kinda been looking for an excuse to get one of those 5.7 Hemi's anyway.
-  Paul  -
Paul N. Price   CLC 23300

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Paul, I would not reccomend towing your 41 & trailer with a Durango even with the tow package and/or the big motor. The combined weight of what's being towed FAR exceeds the weight of the Durango. Use a minimum of a 3/4 ton HD  truck. HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Pat Caruso CLC #17825

Hagerty Insurance offers a pamplet on the basics of towing & trailering.  It is a PDF file and can be viewed here:
http://www.hagerty.com/assets/PDF/TraileringPamphlet.pdf

Good luck.
Webmaster - Raritan River Region CLC   http://www.rrrclc.org
Webmaster - Valley Forge Region CLC   http://www.vfrclc.org

1975 Cadillac Sedan deVille

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

I checked the towing capacity of a Durango on Dodge's website as well as cars. com. before my initial post. Both showed a towing capacity of 6,000 lbs. with the 4.7 engine and 8,950 pounds with the 5.7 Hemi which Dodge advertises as "best in class".  After reading the posts following mine, I returned to cars. com to see how they defined towing capacity. When I clicked on the question mark beside it, I got this definition: "Trailer towing capacity is the maximum weight of a loaded trailer that the vehicle, as equipped, is rated to tow.  This assumes that only the driver (150 lbs) and no extra cargo is in the tow vehicle". From those two figures it would seem that Paul would be OK pulling a 4,100 pound car with a 4.7 Durango and fine with a 5.7 Hemi.  That said, the other men most likely have more towing experience than I have and give good advice and a 3/4 ton pickup would be a better tow vehicle than a Durango.