News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 series 62 sidewindow glass

Started by Jeremy, March 03, 2009, 05:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy

I'm looking for some side window glass for my 1955 series 62.  I have found someone locally ,but they said they only cut "flat glass" not curved.  So are the side windows considered curved or flat?  if they are curved do you guys know of anyone that makes them?

Coupe

Jeremy
The side windows on a '55 are flat glass.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

The Tassie Devil(le)

If your vehicle has Eze-eye glass, then you will need a similar tinted glass to cut the replacement.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Walter Youshock

http://www.vintageglass.com

They do the flat side windows and can also replicate your original date codes. 

The codes on your side windows should be within about 6 weeks of your car's Build Date. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Jeremy

wow thanks for all the help here. I'm now looking for the base plate and seals that go with the windows to put it in.  anyone know of any REpops? ??? ???

Walter Youshock

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

jeremy

sorry the channel that slides up under the glass, i have found at rubber the right way

they dont carry the brackets though

Walter Youshock

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

The Tassie Devil(le)

The Base Plate as you call it isn't sold as a replacement part from what I can gather.

If yours is rusted out, you can get one made up and fit it to the rest of the framework, or get a replacement from someone who is parting out a similar vehicle.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jeremy

sorry for the confusion it's not called a base plate it's called a "channel" the channel holds the glass in firmly then attaches via brackets to a control arm that moves the window up and down.  I have found the parts ie (channel) ,but cannot find the metal mounting brackets attached to it.

35-709

My local auto glass shop had the channel in long lengths.  I bought a piece and cut the channel stock to the length I needed and rewelded the old brackets to it.  Had to do both sides in my '60 coupe.  Make very sure you have the brackets in the same place.  Worked well for me.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Walter Youshock

OK, now I got it.  I was wondering if the '55 is different from the '57.

The brackets should be the same for every GM car of the era, with power or manual windows.  Check with Chevy parts houses.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

2danreed

Don't discount your local salvage yard. I recently found a good piece of glass for my '56 Caddy sedan. The channel at the base of the window was better on my cracked original window so I swapped it onto the junkyard window glass, which was clean and unblemished.

I will say that I hate that job - I'm not fond of power window motor replacement either, but I guess that's all part of the fun of this hobby.

Dan
Dan Reed

35-709

A good friend also reminded me that Restoration Specialties ---- http://www.restorationspecialties.com/   would be a likely place to look for that channel also.
Geoff
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

txlowbrow

thanks for the information everyone.  i finally registered on the forum.  Thanks for the great responses and information.  I have found almost every part I need minus the brackets ,but i think i'm going to reuse them same channels and brackets.  If you guys need parts for such check out this site it has great stuff.

www.rubbertherightway.com

Bizzteacher

Can anyone on this thread please help me and tell me how to remove the drivers and passenger side glass on a 55 series 62? Both drivers and passenger glass is cracked and I need to remove it from the car so I can get it repaired.

Thanks

Hugh

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Bizzteacher on December 27, 2021, 06:32:36 PM
Can anyone on this thread please help me and tell me how to remove the drivers and passenger side glass on a 55 series 62?

Get a shop manual from 1954 (the manual for 1955 is just a supplement to the '54). The removal of the side windows is well explained.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101