News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Original Journal size for a 1966 429 crankshaft...

Started by Carl Johnson, March 05, 2009, 07:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl Johnson

Hello all,

I am trying to find out the correct size for a 1966 429 cid crankcase journal.  I think mine was shaved down too much when it was redone, thus allowing an oil leak at the rear main seal.  Does anyone have any ideas on whether it could "built up" by welding and then re-milled again, without doing damage to the steel because of the heat of welding?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Carl Johnson  #6112
Mt. Hood Region, Portland, Oregon

Ted in Olympia WA

The book says the mains are 3 inch but I don't think the seal would be in the same area.  Maybe I have your question incorrect?

It also says in the Mitchell book that in late 1965 the rear main cap was redesigned to prevent leaks, must have been a problem before this.  The early  caps can be modified to fix this.  But since yours is a 1966 you would not think this would be a problem.

I have a 67 parts car here (Olympia WA) with a non-running 429 if you are interested in buying an extra core.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.