News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

DO YOU KNOW

Started by homeonprunehill, March 06, 2009, 12:18:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

homeonprunehill

03-05-09
TO ALL: DO any of you know that  between 1922 and 1929 that a car was made with the name of "DAGMAR"... Bet it didn't look anyhing like the "CADILLAC-DAGMAR".....LOL
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Doug Houston

Indeed, there was such a car. I'm not absolutely certain, but I think it's a classic in the CCCA.

Now, you're probably too young to remember it, but there was a TV show, called "Broadway Open House". The host was Jerry Lester. It offered varied entertainment, as I recall.  There was a big, big gal, who would make an appearance on the show, saying or doing very little; just appearing. She had an enormous pair of lung warts; well shaped. Her name was Dagmar. Her surname never came out, but the big attraction on each week's show was Dagmar's appearance.

So, when Cadillac appeared in 1954-56, with big front bumper torpedos, they were named (by the public; not Cadillac) after Dagmar. That'd the Dagmar you were thinking of, though never having seen, and not ever heard of,  the car that had a short life.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Walter Youshock

Her real name was Virginia Egnor.  She also appeared on "The Frank Sinatra Show" sponsored by Timex.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

homeonprunehill

03-07-09
DO YOU KNOW,CONTINUED.  DO or DOES Anyone know that there were OVER  585 cars built from the start of the car building
period to the last one to give up the  ghoat , so to speak. From AMC, in 1956 to?? the ZIMMERMAN from 1908 to 1912 the car covered the whole shooting match form AtoZ  I put OVER in the first line because there was BENSON made in PORTLAND, OR 
around the early 1900's that is not in the list Im was reading.

homeonprunehill

03-07-09
continued continued.  I forget to put in some importence information. Not only is there cars  named for each letter of the  "alphabet"",bujt the "M" won for the most cars starting with that letter,the "S" with (53) come in second and third was none other then "P"with (46)

homeonprunehill

03-08-09
cont.cont.continue Just read my last post. Somehow it got messed-up, the cars starting with the letter "m" was (56) and alll american built.
Reminds me of about 300 snowmobiles built in the '70, only three (3) on the market now.

Whit Otis, 1188

Re the Dagmar, if memory serves me correctly, this car was produced by the owner of the largest pipe organ company in America, actually the world.  M. P. Moeller was a Danish immigrant and very successful at building pipe organs, even through the depression.  He sold instruments at cost just to keep his people on the payroll.  At any rate, he had a daughter, Dagmar, whom he named the car after.  I believe as mentioned above, it is a CCCA Classic, though production was low and I don't believe the Dagmar company made it past the early 30's.  The MP Moeller Pipe Organ Company was in business up until about 18 years ago.  The 4th largest operating pipe organ in the world was built and installed by the MP Moeller Company in 1990 in the Calvary Church in Charlotte, NC.  205 Ranks, 11,499 pipes.  For some really "thumping" classical organ music, go to danmillermusic.com and order "The Power and the Glory".
Whit Otis
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger

Art Director

Quote from: Walter Youshock on March 07, 2009, 05:05:28 PM
Her real name was Virginia Egnor.  She also appeared on "The Frank Sinatra Show" sponsored by Timex.
Walter is correct, her full name was Virginia Ruth Egnor. At the time of her death in 2001, I was the editor of The Dagmar, the newsletter of the Rocky Mountain Region CLC and we covered her life story in great detail.

A family connection: My father was an FBI agent during World War II and was acquainted with Dagmar's brother Jack Egnor, agent-in-charge of the FBI's Denver office for many years.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Whit Otis, 1188

I believe we are talking about two different Dagmars here (or maybe three depending on how you want to add up the items).  Doing a bit more research on the Dagmar Automobile versus the Dagmar physical anatomy,  the car was indeed produced by MP Moeller, the pipe organ builder with production starting in 1922 and ending in 1927, so I was a bit off on my dates in my first posting.  One other item of interest, MP Moeller built the three pipe organs for the Army, Navy and Air Force military academy's.... the largest instrument by far being the organ at the West POint Cadet Chapel.

Whit
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger