News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

56 Cad Radiator Mounts

Started by CCH 24961, March 09, 2009, 02:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCH 24961

On the bottom of the radiator framing, how does this mount to the frame?  The manual describes shims etc., is there a rubber bushing or rubber mount that the bolt goes through?

As always, Thanks

Chris

Otto Skorzeny

Unlike new cars, there aren't any rubber bushings cushioning the radiator. It just bolts right on.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Forrest,

I think that the initial question was in regard to the Shims under the Radiator Support Cradle, where the Cradle is fastened to the Frame.

This Cradle supports the front Fenders as well as the Radiator and uses Shims to correctly align the Fenders with the Body..

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Walter Youshock

Agreed, but I wish he'd be a little more vague.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

The Tassie Devil(le)

I understood exactly what part Chris was referring to.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Walter Youshock

I don't.  The radiator in a '56 mounts directly to the radiator/fender support.  The fender support attaches to the frame with a BIG 3/4" or 1" bolt and a rubber pad-to-frame piece.  That pad should absorb some movement at the radiator middle support, but the fenders and hood all attach at the cowl and rad support.

In other words:  the radiator is as stationary in the car as the cowl or your front seat or steering wheel.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Walter, who are you agreeing with? I think everyone ,including me , understood what the poster asked but you & Forrest. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

J. Gomez

Chris,

On my '56 CDV I do have a rectangle rubber pad that goes between the shims and radiator support frame. The master part list shows this item under group 6.0754 as part # 1465142 after eng # 82594. I had to make one since Steele (including others) has no listing for this pad.

Good luck..!

Jose Gomez CLC #23082
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Walter Youshock

Oh, I wasn't disagreeing, I just didn't understand at first.  The light eventually came on!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

CCH 24961

Ok guys, you have me a bit confused.  Some say a rubber bushing some say bolt directly to frame.

What should I think?

As always, thanks for the advice

Chris

Walter Youshock

OK, sorry I was a bit confused in the beginning.  I will try to redeem myself here. 

On my '57, which should be the same for a '56, there is a square hard rubber pad that goes between the rad support and the tab at the center of the frame.  It's the same thing as a body mount and is about 1/2 to 3/4 in. thick.

The rad support attaches to the frame with a carriage bolt.  My car also has a few shims between the support and the pad.  This is how the front fender height is adjusted. 

If you're looking to save a few $$$ and there is a shoe repair shop in your town, the material is the same as they use for new heels.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

CCH 24961

Redeemed!  Got it, as ususal it makes sense they would leave some flex somewhere along the line.

Thanks

Chris

Chris Conklin

Is it me? Or are there a lot of "fix-it" type items hitting the forum? Preparation for June, perhaps?
Chris Conklin

Walter Youshock

That and saving up for the next wave of $4 gas!

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham