News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1939 V16 fan blade: push or pull?

Started by Stephen Murphy, March 09, 2009, 07:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Murphy

Hi,

I'm reinstalling a fan blade on this car after someone else took it apart. Currently it looks like it is a pusher (blows air forward through rad core) assuming engine rotation is clockwise as one sits in the car. Is this correct? I haven't tried turning the fan blade around to make it pull, since this requires removing one of the upper water hoses for clearance.

Any ideas?

Stephen Murphy

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Stephen, NO fans of that era were pushers. Also clock motion is always as you are looking at the front of the motor, just like looking at a clock. Sitting in the car determines LH & RH of course.  I'm not sure how a V16 turns. Maybe someone else will chime in. Crank it over & watch.  HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

The Tassie Devil(le)

The reason that ALL fans behind the Radiators are Pullers is that it would be impossible to cool the Radiator Fins if they were trying to push the air over the fins.   

Any Fans in front of the Radiator are Pushers and are Electric in operation.

Once a vehicle is travelling above 35 MPH, there is really no need for any Fans to assist in cooling as the vehicle is travelling fast enough for the outside air to simply create sufficient air flow on its' own.

One of the reasons for the greater reliance of Electric Fans replacing Belt Driven ones.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

The V-16 rotation is clockwise looking from the front.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

homeonprunehill

03-09-09
Steven, You can't reverse the FAN by turning it over. IT A PULLER FAN. HTH, Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Stephen Murphy

Thank y'all.

I haven't cranked the engine b/c there are lots of loose parts on the front that will make a mess if the crank pulley turns. I had the thought in the middle of reinstalling the fan pulley (replaced shaft & bearing) that the blade might be on wrong.

Pull it is!

Steve