News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

tow bar on my 54 so I can tow my Streamline Trailer

Started by PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192, March 12, 2009, 05:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Hi , I was looking to fit a towbar to my 54 Coupe DeVille so I can tow my 24 foot Streamline trailer . I don't have a towbar for it and I was wondering what to fit or does anyone have a drawing for one so I can get one made. There is an added problem, I am in England, but I am happy to ship from the States if necessary.
Thanks,
Phil

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Phil, the first thing is, they are called trailer hitches in America. Many people towed trailers with big cars before the SUV's came along. Someone out there might have one that they removed from a Cadillac of that era. My suggestion would be to have a reliable person custom build one for your car. It needs to bolt to your frame rails, NOT your bumper. Then I would add what they call a load leveler hitch. This prevents the tongue weight of the trailer dragging the rear end of your car down. That's unsafe. Don't forget to add trailer brakes & lights & you're ready to go. HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Thanks Bob, I should've remembered that they are called trailer hitches in the US. The trailer is fully braked [electrically operated hydraulics !] on bothe axles. So, has anyone out there got a trailer hitch from a 54-56 Cad for sale ?
Phil

Otto Skorzeny

It's extremely unlikely that you'll find one ready to install. I intended to tow a vintage airstream around the country with my '56 and went through every possible option. Any trailer hitch that was made in the 50's for your car will not be up to today's safety standards. 

Furthermore, as Bob pointed out, today's hitches are much more sophisticated which enables the tow vehicle to operate more safely and efficiently with less strain on the engine, transmission, and brakes as a result of weight distribution and leveling systems.

Have one custom made by a professional.

I would also add air shocks to the rear of your car. In my research, I determined that my car could safely tow about 4500lbs. I intended to tow no more than 3000lbs max. In the end, I decided against doing that and will tour the county in my car and stay in hotels instead.

An electric brake system installed under the dash is a must. There are systems which automatically apply the trailer brakes when you press the brake pedal and regulate the amount of stopping power applied. You do not want the trailer brakes to lock up on you. It could turn your car into junk in a hurry.

Start searching the web for forums specifically related to trailers, towing, and towing vintage trailers with vintage vehicles. There are clubs which specialize in the latter. You will learn a lot.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Thanks Forrest,  I already have the electric braking system - all brand new - ready to go into the tow vehicle. I have been on a number of websites and forums regarding trailers. I take your point about modern tow hitches, but I to tend to be of the point of view that if it worked back then , it'll work now. These trailers were designed to be pulled by the then passenger cars. There was a TV programme shown here in England a number of years back with period film of a brand new 57 Cadillac towing a brand new very big Airstream right the way through Mexico. My trailer is a Streamline, very similar to an Airstream [made in California] it dates from 59 or 60 [can't pin it down totally !] .
Phil

Otto Skorzeny

I generally agree with you about the technology of yesterday working with yesterday's cars, etc. When it comes to towing a trailer though, I would err on the side of caution.

Granted, you are in England where the terrain and temperatures do not vary as greatly as they do here in the US. The distances are also much less stressful on vehicles so you can probably get away with a lot more.

The rig which I was going to have made was to be attached to the frame rails as Bob mentioned and exit just below the bumper. The actual hitch would slide into a square receiver which could be removed for normal driving without the trailer simply by removing a hardened steel through bolt. It protruded about a foot beyond the bumper and was raised up slightly to accept the trailer tongue. The custom fabrication was going to run about $500.

After many months of research and planning, I decided that I would rather tour the country without dragging the Airstream like Ricky and Lucy. I'm actually considering a Willys Jeepster for my Airstream adventure. In the meantime, we're just gong to cruise around secondary roads for 3 or 4 months in the Cadillac unencumbered.

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

The original plan was to buy a 60-65 Chevy Suburban to pull the trailer [it would double up as a good vehicle for our business]. However, finding one in good shape and the right price is proving very difficult. I've seen a few at a low price that need total restoration [I've got way too many projects already !!] and one that was over priced, but nice. I'm still looking for one, but in the mean time the Caddy should be man enough . I do plan to tour mainland Europe in the future , I think I'll wait for the Suburban for that and get an LPG [propane] conversion as petrol [gas] prices are still very very high over here.
Thanks again for your advice - gas shocks are really good idea.
Phil

harvey b

Hello Phil,i have been reading your post with interest as this is something i would like to do someday,i remember when i was a kid we had a "citation" travel trailer that we used for or holidays in the summer time,my dad would always have the hitch cusyom made at a local welding shop,they would make it from scratch for the particular vehicle,back then the hitches were not as readily available as they are today,you will want the one with the torsion bars as they help keep the car from bottoming out and level.i have a link for you to try,they sell a lot of accesories too,you need to buy your ball mount first then any good welder can make the actual receiver for the frame of the car.HTH Harvey B    http://www.reeseprod.com/
Harvey Bowness

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

walt chomosh #23510

Phil,
I tow an 1955 Airstream "bubble"with a 1955CDV. The bubble is quite a bit smaller then your travel trailer so I can't comment on your setup(my trailer is 1750lbs) any more then what others have already have. I ALWAYS weld my own trailer hitches from scratch. Will try to send hitch pics to your address this week....walt...tulsa,ok

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Thanks everyone, I take the point about the new hitches. Walt, the pics and some dimensions [if it's not too much to ask] would be great.
Phil

Brad Barbeau

I'm trying to do the same thing with my 59.  I did find one on ebay, but it was going for more than I thought it would cost to have a new one made (item 220375444376).  This looks like it attached to where the bumper mounts to the frame.  Does anyone have thoughts about that?  Walt, if you don't mind I'd love to see some pics and any other data you might have too!

Cheers,

Brad

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Just and update - I have had a change of plans , we have just bought a 1963 GMC Suburban to use as the tow vehicle. I think my CDV just breathed a sigh of relief !!
Phil