News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1987 Cadillac Brougham Opera Lights

Started by EAM 17806, March 15, 2009, 08:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EAM 17806

HI GANG!  I'm trying to help my friend Ed make the opera lights on his 87 Brougham work but to no avail.  It doesn't seem likely that the bulbs are the problem because they both went out at the same time.  Are there fuses specifically for these lights somewhere?  What would be the best approach to get these two to light up without taking the door frame apart.  Any ideas shall be appreciate. THANKS GUYS!  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

TJ Hopland

I dont know about that specific model but weren't some of them fiber optics from other lamps?  Are there any other lamps not working or did anything get replaced around the time they quit?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Walter Youshock

These were fluorescent bulbs and there was a rectifier in the trunk area.  If one bulb goes out, they both do.  When it dies, the entire unit needs to be replaced,

About the only way to tell which one is good is to have one KNOWN good unit (either side) and remove the interior "B" pillar covers and unplug the lams one at a time.  Plug in the good one and see what happens...

I recall back in 1994, they were $120 from the dealer. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Glen

Weren’t these things powered by an inverter that produced 120 volts or something like that? 

Some times the inverter goes out. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104