News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Back in '63, what manufacturer supplied tires to Cadillac ?

Started by Joe L., March 15, 2009, 04:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe L.

I own a '63 sedan deville that is in good shape and as it needs a few things, want to keep her original. Can anyone think back and tell me who supplied tires for my '63 ?   Thanks.

quadfins

Up through '62, US Royal, Firestone, and Goodyear. were the suppliers. I would think they did not change in '63. They were used randomely and interchangeably. If you order your build sheet, it will tell you which type came on your car. And starting in '62, the whitewalls were much narrower.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Joe Loyden

...Thanks Jim, I ordered a build sheet in Jan and was a poor copy, very diisapointed with the company that provides that service but don;t get my Irish up...:)   I found out that Firestone supplied the rubber in '63...the build sheet provided the letter "F" for Firestone. 

Warren Rauch

The best source for this information is the 1963 Optional Spec. Book.
   For black walls US Royal (code US),Goodrich (GR), and Firestone (FS) did supply tires. Goodyear code GY is XXX out on my copy so they may have supplied tires too, at least early on. In 1964 the first three did supply and Goodyear did not.
  For white walls , US Royal (USW), Goodrich (GRW), Firestone (FSW) and Goodyear (GYW) were all suppliers.
  The choice of brands was what they had in stock in 1963. In 1964 you could request what you wanted and if avalible get it.( By 1965 they  took that away again) Warren

Chris Conklin

Would a set of Vogue Tyres be considered original? They've always been available at the dealers. In a sense a dealer option? Just curious.
Chris Conklin

Art Director

Quote from: Joe L. on March 15, 2009, 04:48:33 PM
I own a '63 sedan deville that is in good shape and as it needs a few things, want to keep her original. Can anyone think back and tell me who supplied tires for my '63 ?   Thanks.

My 1963 Sedan de Ville 6329 (Six-Window) still has the original spare tire, which is a B.F. Goodrich Silvertown.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Otto Skorzeny

It depends on your definition of "original", Chris.  Lots of things were available aftermarket in 1963 but not installed or authorized by the manufacturer. I think the term "period correct" might better apply to your Vogue tires.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be considered "original" in a judged show.

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

RobW

My 63 series 62 coupe bought new by my father in august '63 had us royal ww. Still has the original spare.
Rob Wirsing

Brett Cottel

Where does one order a build sheet? and would that apply to a 55 Meteor Commercial chassis? Or woult the GM sheet be just for the chassis and not much info to me?
Thanks Brett
1955 Cadillac Meteor Combination Coach
CLC #27535
Pic's at http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/brettcottel/

Otto Skorzeny

Click on the link to the CLC home page above.

Then click on "Authenticate your car"

Follow the instructions from that point forward.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE