News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

When was semi-metalic brakes first used on Cadillacs?

Started by EAM 17806, March 17, 2009, 09:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EAM 17806

HI GANG!  Do any one of you guys know for "CERTAIN" exactly what year Cadillac first required semi-metalic brake pads. My car is a 76 Coupe de Ville and I know they were asbestos element from the factory and semi-metalics cannot be used on this year and prior because the original rotors were not produced to use semi-metalic pads.  However, be careful when buying them because they come up semi-metalics especially when you buy them on-line.  Look them up on-line and notice what is offered for 76 and prior. The parts companies must assume we all converted the rotors to be able to use the semi-metalics, so just be careful when you order them or buying them in person you're apt to get the wrong one.  I couldn't find too many non-metalic ones available so if you still use them you better get a set for reserve now.  THANKS!  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Bill Gauch #23121

I have no knowledge to be able to answer your question, but I have a question of my own. I have never heard anyone say you must use non-metallic pads on something that was originally equipped with asbestos-based pads. What is it about the rotors that prevents using them? The only thing I heard about semi-metallic pads, is that you would get the occasional squeak or squeal, which you would not get from the asbestos ones.
WANTED: Nothing right now.

- 1938 Series 65 - 4-door sedan - Restoration (slowly) ongoing

http://38caddy.blogspot.com/

Ted in Olympia WA

I agree and I see no reason that you cannot use semi-metallic on any disc brake car except for the extra wear they may cause.  For instance I don't think I would use them on a 1967 Eldo because you cannot get these rotors anymore.  But the 1976 rotors are easy to get aftermarket.

The first time I seen semi-metallic was in about 1974.  I had a go-cart with rear a rear disc brake and I needed pads.  My dad worked for the state patrol (doing bodywork) at the time and he would get me used brake pads that I would cut down to work, they would quickly wear out for some reason.  Then he brought me home a semi metallic pad from the new Fords at the time and this pad lasted much longer and stopped much better.  I was about 14 at the time.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.