News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rubber - Where to buy?

Started by Soren Johnson, March 18, 2009, 11:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soren Johnson

I need new rubber list / seal for my trunk and doors on my 1972 Deville 4-door hard top.
Any tip where to buy in USA, and get good quality combined with a fair price?
Soren Johnson, Sweden

Otto Skorzeny

Try Steele or Rubber the Right Way

www.steelerubber.com

An old catalog lists it as $33.10 for 18ft or $3.70/ft
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Kevin Kenneally

Rubber the Right Way- They are in California..  I have used and they have every piece of rubber for old Cadillacs..  (866) 789-7879.

I just saw your post, new to the site..  I am sure you have already got what you need but wanted to reply..

cadman59

Has anyone ever compared Steele and RubberTheRightWay (and maybe even SoffSeal and Metro) concerning softness and fit of the weatherstripping parts?
I have used Steele for the door and roofrail weatherstripping of my '59, and even after 10 years it is still necessary to slam close the doors more than I would like. Also, the fit of the roofrail weatherstripping at the front (dogleg) is not as good as it should be.

Feiko
Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper

Otto Skorzeny

Quote from: cadman59 on September 07, 2009, 03:01:43 PM
Has anyone ever compared Steele and RubberTheRightWay (and maybe even SoffSeal and Metro) concerning softness and fit of the weatherstripping parts?
I have used Steele for the door and roofrail weatherstripping of my '59, and even after 10 years it is still necessary to slam close the doors more than I would like. Also, the fit of the roofrail weatherstripping at the front (dogleg) is not as good as it should be.

Feiko

Are you sure your striker plate is adjusted properly. You may be able to lessen the amount of force required to close your door by making a slight adjustment to the latch assembly.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

cadman59

If I  move the strikers a little outward, the doors are not properly aligned anymore, so that is not the solution.
I think the sponge rubber is just a little bit to stiff.

Feiko
Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper

Gene Moscicki

Try to close the door AFTER removing the striker, If it does not line up, lift the door up if it has allot of movement the bushings on the hinges are worn and need to be replaced. After possible hinge problems mare resolved  adjust the hinges to close matching the body lines THEN and only then can the latch be adjusted for the effortless close you are looking for, ;)

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

My vote is for Steele Rubber.  I bought ALL the pices for my '55 Eldorado from them and
was completely satisfied by the fit qnd quality.

I agree with the previous posters -- the problems you're having are caused by mis-alignment
of the sheet metal, not the rubber.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region