News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Got lots of Smoke

Started by Tollroadguy, March 20, 2009, 01:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tollroadguy

I am frustrated with this darn car
I had the engine on my 55 rebuilt due to lots of smoke when the car would sit at a signal. Had everything redone and it was smoke free for the first 500 miles and now it is back to smoking up a storm. It is the worst if you have been at freeway speeds and then go to stop and go traffic. It is like a smoke screen behind me kind of a blueish/balck/grey smoke and the car kind of coughs/clunks/deisles off the line. I have had the valves checked and the compression again by the engine shop and eveything checked out ok?  What am i missing?

Also is there a bracket for the air filter mine never stays facing forward is this correct am I missing a part or something?

Walter Youshock

Sound to me like the carburetor.  Have you had it rebuilt?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

61 cad

it seems like you might be burning oil ... show it to the guy that did the engine rblt. White smoke out the back is usually oil. check your oil and see if its nice and clean or dirty and make sure its not " white or milky looking"

61 cad

make sure its not blowby it might be that your pvc valve is not working and you are not getting proper vacum through the engine

Sweede64

Hi.

I had a -58 whit the same probs, it was the vacuumpump for the wipers, there is at oneway valve in the pipe from the sump, it is activated when the manifold vacuum is higher then the pump can provide.
This hppens when you idling or enginebrakes.
Then oil from the crankcase seep thru the vanes in the pump and in to the combustinchambers and burn, this creates a lot of smoke and odor and makes the engine surge and misfire, even detonation when hot can be heard. Disconnect the hose from the pump and testdrive, if it helps repair the valve, simple ball and spring, its located at the right side of the block.

Thomas.
Thomas Karlström

Otto Skorzeny

Quote from: Sweede64 on March 20, 2009, 02:02:42 PM
Hi.

I had a -58 whit the same probs, it was the vacuumpump for the wipers, there is at oneway valve in the pipe from the sump, it is activated when the manifold vacuum is higher then the pump can provide.
This hppens when you idling or enginebrakes.
Then oil from the crankcase seep thru the vanes in the pump and in to the combustinchambers and burn, this creates a lot of smoke and odor and makes the engine surge and misfire, even detonation when hot can be heard. Disconnect the hose from the pump and testdrive, if it helps repair the valve, simple ball and spring, its located at the right side of the block.

Thomas.

By the way, there is no PCV system on these cars.

Swede wrote what I was going to tell you. I'd be willing to bet the vacuum pump is to blame. Search this website for a thread detailing it on a '56 Cad (about a year or so ago). You'll have to pull the oil pan to get at it.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Tollroadguy

The Vac pump humm would not have thought that. I have issues with the wipers not working so migh all be related. Thank you all I will get looking at it

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Roger Zimmermann

I had the same problem with my '56 de Ville. Took the heads of, pistons out as I thoutht it was a broken ring. All was perfect. REasembled all the parts; test drive: same thing. I had a large quantity of oil in cylinders 3 and 4 I believe. Took the intake manifold out again and, when I removed the rubber hose from the metal tube for the wipers, some oil dripped. Removed the check valve for the wipers (coming from the vacuum pump under the oil pump) which is located behind the starter motor and found that the tiny steel plate which should prevent to suck oil with high manufold vacuum was canted open. Did a modification to that check valve and I had to problem no more.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

61 cad

just wondering does 61 cadillac have the same thing because i have a lot of blow by in my engine  ???

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: 61 cad on March 22, 2009, 03:00:40 PM
just wondering does 61 cadillac have the same thing because i have a lot of blow by in my engine  ???
No. This system was used the last time on MY 1958.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Rob Leech

I had to laugh when I read this. My vacuum pump was not working so I immediately thought of the check valve being dislocated. I removed the small plate in the valve to see if I would get vacuum. It only took the carburetor about two minutes to suck oil into the carb. Smoke everywhere. I thought I had blown my engine. Fouled my plugs, but no other damage. Don't remove the check valve.
Rob Leech 1956 Eldorado Convertible

signart

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on March 23, 2009, 03:11:21 AMNo. This system was used the last time on MY 1958.

So, when was it first used? (asking for a friend)
Art D. Woody

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: signart on February 26, 2023, 10:46:23 AMSo, when was it first used? (asking for a friend)
1954 was the first year on Cadillac. Previously, the fuel pump had also a vacuum pump.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Poncholover

A friend once started by pulling the intake manifold to look around and noticed a couple of oily intake ports.
The oil had a reddish tint to it. Yes, Dexron! The vacuum modulator on the TH400 had failed.

The the bright side, you have a fresh engine!
Flattie Caddy

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Vacuum check valve and/or the vacuum pump.

fishnjim

If you separate and block off the vacuum line to the wipers from the intake manifold vacuum hose and it clears up then it's as been stated.  The wiper vacuum manifold also can cause issues with misdirected flow.  I changed to electric wipers, very easy swop, and plugged off the pump after rebuild.

I had brake fluid getting into vacuum from the booster when I first got the '58, so another source for mysterious tail pipe emissions.  Excessive combustibles and funky vacuum affects carb and it won't run/burn right.

The breather pipe is the only other source for transient smoke.  That means oil fumes are getting where they aren't supposed to, blow by, etc.  Some people add a PVC there as none in those days but really not needed if things are right.  Some are sensitive to the smell even when no visible emissions.
It may run a bit hotter since rebuild and wears in.  All these things were what lead to improvements and changes in emissions as more vehicles were sold.  You should be glad you're not breathing period lead in those fumes.
I'd change the oil now if >500 miles since break in and look for metal fines in the oil. 
It won't meet EPA stds.   Some locales have state visable tailpipe emissions rules so depending where you live maybe necessary to correct before driving or risk being pulled over.   

Chopper1942

Make sure that the engines draft/breather tube is not plugged up.  If it is, it can cause smoke and oil usuage. As stated earlier, pull the engine vacuum lines and if any have oil in them, that is the source of the oil. Follow the line to what it is connected to.