News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 starter connections

Started by ozzie's 41, March 22, 2009, 01:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzie's 41

I hate to sound like an idiot, but since I didn't take it off, I want to be sure that Iam  putting together correctly.
when installing the starter on my 41 Cad. I have got two connections. one with a circle connector (the larger wire) and one small fork stlye connector.
I am assuming the neg. battery terminal goes to the big bolt on the back of the starter, and that the large connector with the circle end goes on there too (correct?)-then I have two small flat head screw things sticking out the side of the stater I am assuming that the fork connector goes on one of these (which one?)
and is the other one suppose to have something on it?

If anyone has a link to a manual site, or a couple of fine pictures, or a nice organized email response, or a blurb of info. here.
I'll take anything.
I have just got the point I am about tho crank this baby over (for the first time since I got it and this is the last bit of info. I need)
a nice lady sent me a great site link via email, and then I accidently deleted my whole inbox and I lost all that including her name-
so please HELP if you can
thanks
Ozzie

Carfreak

1941 Shop Manual @ Modified Chapter Documents Section: 
http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/documents/Shop_Manuals_and_Illus_Catalogs/1941%20Shop%20Manual/

Starter Circuit: 
http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/documents/Shop_Manuals_and_Illus_Catalogs/1941%20Shop%20Manual/41%20Shop%20Manual%20-%2077.jpg

Before installing your starter, consider this recommended upgrade from a knowledgeable long-time member: 

Quote from: Doug Houston #2257 on November 26, 2008, 09:20:45 PM

Now, on that starter, here goes the broken record again. Have it re-bushed, clean up the commutator NEVER UNDERCUT A STARTER COMMUTATOR, use new brushes if the present ones show appreciable wear. Before the starter is re-assembled, have the shop drill the commutator end plate in a deep pocket in it, and install a bolt that will serve as a grounding stud. Use a 3/8-18 or 3/8-24 thread size. I always prefer stainless steel for down where slop gets thrown up there It willl need to be long enough to have a lock washer and a lock nut before the battery terminal and another lock washer goes on it.  Grounding the battery at this point on the starter puts the  battery connection as close as possible to the place where the starter motor is grounded, and there can never be any degrading of the starter's grounding path, as it does with normal  weathering and road dirt accumulation.  With the battery grounding there, the rest of the car's grounding system takes care of itself. Good idea to brush some black paint on the ground stud after connection.

Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Doug Houston

The solenoid has two big copper terminals on it. One goes to the motor itself, and you shouldn't need to be concerned about it. It has a little copper lonk from one solenoid terminal. The other terminal goes to the hot side of the battery (negative for a '41.) There is another wire with a terminal that has a 3/8" hole on it, and is a closed loop. That's the master feed to the whole car. It goes to the same terminal on the solenoid as the battery cable. Since the solenoid termian studs are copper, don't reef down  too hard on the nuts that attach to them. They break easily. So much for the feeds.

Now, there will be two other wires, each with a "fork" terminal. These will go to the terminals on the end of the solenoid. One comes from the starter button, and the other is connected to the generator armature (the bigger terminal on the generator) The reason for that is to make it impossible to run the starter when the engine is running.

Hope this helps.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

ozzie's 41

O.K. so all I need to know is does the small wire attatched to the generator go to the front 9toward the front of the car) termianl on the soliniod or the rear one?

B