News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

58 Frame Interchange

Started by Mike, March 22, 2009, 05:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Hi,
I am curious if any other 58 Cadillac model frames would fit a 58 Coupe ? The frame in my 58 Coupe needs some minor repairs, and I just wondered if I wouldn't be easier to switch frames ? Would a 58 Fleetwood fit ? or a 58 Sedan Short Deck fit ? I would not be interested in changing any body mounts or anything, just a straight lift off and bolt on type of swap is what I would be looking for.
Thanks
Micheal

Walter Youshock

Stick with the coupe frame.  The body mounts will all lign up correctly.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Doug Houston

These questions are always hard to answer when the reader has no clue about where the guy is, who asks the question.

If you are in Michigan (and probably aren't), there is a place on the north end of Pontiac. It's Clyde's frame and axle.....? something like that. They have a pretty widely known reputation, and a very good one. I underfstand that they can dpo things that many others can't do.

If you can't use Clyde's, there might be a place near you.........  But where are you?
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Mike

Hi,
Sorry about that. I am in Ontario, Canada. Michigan is not out of the question, but I am not convinced I need to go that far. I am sure I can get it fixed locally. The car was lightly hit in the rear, and the small "U" shaped cross brace was bent. The side frame rails are good. I just also noticed that the front cross member under the engine has been repaired where the control arms bolt onto. I was just thinking that if I changed the front cross member and the rear channel piece I might just be easier to change the frame. I have a Fleetwood and Sedan parts car that I could use, but it sound to me like I would be faster to just fix the coupe frame.
Thanks,
Michael

Walter Youshock

All the cars had different frames.  The Fleetwood frame is a 133" wheelbase, whereas the coupe is a 129".  Is the base sedan frame a deVille or extended-deck sedan--the trunk areas are different if it is a base (short) 62 series.  Plus, they used different guages of steel and body outriggers to maintain the structural rigidity of the body-to-frame.  For example, the roofs were different between coupes and sedans, so some of the rigidity was made up for in the floor pans and frame.

Likewise, a convertible will be of a heavier guage than a coupe frame--no top.  A series 62 convertible and Biarritz frame would be the same and a 62 coupe and Coupe deVille frame would be compatible.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham