News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Not easy being "Rare"

Started by robailey, March 23, 2009, 08:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robailey

Having what I have been told ia a rare car seems to be limiting my involvement on this forum. I have a 1987 Fleetwood Sixty Special.  Rare doesn't matter to em I have it because I love the car.  I have a couple of question if anyone could help.
1. Dose anyone on here have an 87 Sixty special?
2. Will DeVille parts work on my car and if so what years?

Thanks

Rob
Rob Ailey
Seymour, TN

1975 Coupe Deville
1987 Fleetwood Sixty Special
2014 XTS

Walter Youshock

Yes, the car is rare.  It was built on an extended wheelbase and had many special features and was a very low production.  What was most likely different was everything rear of the "B" pillar to the trunk and the lower trim between the front and rear wheels.  Plus, it had the rear vanity mirrors and foot rests.  It was meant to wean the Brougham fans off the big rwd cars and into the fwd foray.

Really, it was a Sedan deVille with a longer wheelbase, but built at the factory.  I did find one in a U-Pull lot about 2 years ago.  I'm sure it's crushed by now.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

robailey

Thank for the info. Walter.  At this point she is original, but is going to need some basic TLC.  But I just love her. I'm driving it two or three times a week.

Rob
Rob Ailey
Seymour, TN

1975 Coupe Deville
1987 Fleetwood Sixty Special
2014 XTS

TonyZappone #2624

I always thought these cars were stretched by Hess and Eisenhardt, perhaps not.  This is what the production DeVille should have looked like.  These cars are beautiful.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Walter Youshock

They may have been modified, but they were included int he regular production catalog, so I think they were done by the factory.  The Fleetwood Limited models of the 1994 vintage were H & E products and were not advertised in the standard catalogs or dealer brochures. 

It was another attempt to wean people off the Brougham.  Then, they started building monster trucks, station wagons, and compact sedans, so, none of it really made any sense at all.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Caddydave75 #18575

I know for sure that the 86-87 Fleetwood 75 was built outside of the Cadillac plant using a coupe Deville to start with.  I thought the Sixty Specials were built on the wheelbase that would become standard on Devilles/Fleetwoods in '89.  This does not appear to be the case as the 87-88 Sixty Special had a 2" longer wheelbase then an '89 Deville.  Both Fleetwood 75's and Sixty Specials were offered in the catalogs for those years they were available. 
Dave Lickel #18575
2001 Deville
1999 Deville Golden Anniversary Edition
1975 Fleetwood Eldorado Convertible

Davidinhartford

Parts should be interchangeable with other 87 & 88 DeVilles and Fleetwoods.   Hood, bumpers, fenders, grille etc.    But if you find a sixty special parts car grab any of the unique parts.   But for everything else you should be sitting pretty. 

Otto Skorzeny

I think David is right.

The stretch was made in the rear passenger compartment for extra leg room. The cars are the same from the "B" pillar forward. The rear quarter panels and trunk are also the same.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Hollywood

Did I miss it? Where is the pix of this car you're talking about? H'wood
Eric D. Cook
1965 Coupe deVille

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE