News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

32 V-12 Ignition System Questions

Started by Don Rundgren, March 24, 2009, 03:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Rundgren

In my quest for dependability I will be starting my tuneup / checkup on this car with the ignition system and have some questions:
1. Is it possible to use a dwell meter / tachometer with this 6V dual coil system and if so how do you hook it up? If it is possible, what should the dwell reading be?

2. What type of currently available spark plug will work for replacement?

3. I will do a compression test while the plugs are out, what should the normal reading range be?

4. The spark plug cables are old and may even be original with metal number rings on each, the distributor boots are in bad shape and there are no boots at the plug ends. Can anyone recommend a supplier for a correct reproduction set of cables?
Don
McKinney, Texas

Don Rundgren

Come on, any V-12 experts out there? I have learned via the AACA forum that dwell readings were not used in the 30s so I guess that question is answered. What I really need is to talk with someone who has actually replaced and adjusted the dual points on a V-12 and can translate the very complicated procedure described in the shop manual into steps I can understand. I was also directed to Egge Machine for plug wires, any other good sources? I still need a spec for replacement plugs and a compression test reading range, thanks.
Don
McKinney, Texas

Johan Boltendal #158

What part is puzzling you, if you go by the manual point 1 to 6 it should be able to do the job.
It's working in the same manner all engines, let me know how I can assist. Johan

Bill Gauch #23121

For a source of plug wires, I would probably call RI Wire. I have heard nothing but good things about them. I checked their web site (http://www.riwire.com/) and they don't list wires for a V-12, but they do list them for a V-16. I'm sure they could make you up a set. I would assume you could either send them the originals and they will make a duplicate set. You may be able to just tell them the length and end connector styles.
WANTED: Nothing right now.

- 1938 Series 65 - 4-door sedan - Restoration (slowly) ongoing

http://38caddy.blogspot.com/

harry s

Don, The dwell meter is not much help tuning the V 12, but a timing light worked great for me. After setting the gap on the points and the timing process Johan mentions described in the service manual you can use a timing light to set the timing precisely as described for each cylinder bank. This was a very tedious process, but once you are on the marks for each bank it really smoothes out. You can then go to the carbs and sincronize them. Good Luck, Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum