News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

ONE Nice Restaurant in Detroit???

Started by BJM, March 24, 2009, 09:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJM

I was reading Wine Spectator magazine during a slow stretch of my part time Wine & Spirits grocery store department job.  I came across an article on New Orleans dining establishments.  One was Emeril's restaurant DELMONICOS. It waxed poetic about their steaks, seafood, etc (atmosphere) I am sure it would be pricey.

I then thought what the hell. What if I told my wife we are takinmg a four day weekend, driving to New Orleans (from greater Des Moines, Iowa) and eating at Delmonicos then getting in the car and driving home.

IF I wanted to do the same going to DETROIT, what ONE restaurant is DETROIT personified? Great food, great Detroit digs, atmosphere?

Otto Skorzeny

Whatever restaurant you go to in Detroit, be sure and take your side arm.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Doug Houston

Good advice, Otto!

Being a former denizen of Detroit for 49 years, I feel safe in recommending Sindbad';s at the foot of St. Clair Avenue, off of  East Jefferson. St. Clair runs along Water Works Park. They have valet parking only, and you'll appreciate it. Occasionally, one of our crew (CLC member) would drive us there in his '57-60S). Lots of fun.

Starting about 1972, a couple of friends and I would meet at Sindbad's every Friday evening after work.Almost every time, I'd order "Sindbad's Special", an open face steak sandwich. This went on for about 20 years. During that time, I had only one steak that wasn't superb. They wanted to cancel my check about it, and I raised the roof about it. BTW, the name does have the "D" in the middle of it, unlike the sailor of fame.

Good steak places are few and far between, anywhere you go anymore. In recent years, I had a superlative steak a couple of times at the Hyde Park Grill, in Dublin, Ohio, and it was so good, it was hard to believe. OK, the total bill was about $38.00 (for one person), but I can't find another place like that anywhere else I've been.

I've become cynical. Most places that call themselves "steak houses" serve steaks that aren't even good shoe leather.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Carfreak

Quote from: ottoskorzeny on March 24, 2009, 10:25:31 PM

Whatever restaurant you go to in Detroit, be sure and take your side arm.

I'd say the same about many other bigger urban cities - LA, Atlanta, MIAMI....   surely many more.
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

The Tassie Devil(le)

You can trust Doug.   He sure knows his food and what to order.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) (Bruce Reynolds) on March 24, 2009, 11:24:59 PM
You can trust Doug.   He sure knows his food and what to order.

Bruce.
Oh boy! Did he ate that alone, without to get ill?
Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sorry to report but he didn't.   He tried, for all of about 1 1/2 hours, but refused a Doggy Bag.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Hollywood

There is a Fleming's in Detroit.....I'm not sure what you're looking to spend, but their steaks are good as any....They have lobster and so forth as well...Check them out at www.flemingssteakhouse.com Make sure to bring a healthy AMEX!  ;D H'wood
Eric D. Cook
1965 Coupe deVille

Jim Salmi #21340

Don't know anything about the food, but you could try the Red Fox Inn (I think that is the name of it) on Telegraph Road, a little south of Square Lake Road in the Bloomfield Hills area.  That was were Jimmy Hoffa was supposedly abducted.  Even if the food is rotten, you would certainly be living a little mid-century American/Detroit history.  Just don't get into any dark Cadillac that you don't know.  ;)
1952 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

Ohio57-62Sedan

I have been to Hockeytown good food... and greektown is full of places to eat... OPPA!!! Flaming cheese the whole shabang... I't a city that has come a long way from where it once stood.. Mexican town has some of the best mexican food in Detroit....

J

if you make the trip go to the best  http://www.mattprenticerg.com/urc/coach.asp   best view in detroit and on top of GM headquarters
Cadillac got me!!!

Doug Houston

Yeah, that was at the Box Bar in Plymouth (Mich.), where we go after the CLC meeting every other month. Indeed, the menu did say that there were mashed potatoes with the rest of the serving, but great Caeser's ghost, not a whole bushel!  I was stunned, and Bruce was in hysterics, so he shot the pictures. As he said, I never came close to consuming a small part of it. I hate to waste food, but there's a limit to everything!

That was a real fun evening.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Otto Skorzeny

What exactly was that stuff? It looks most un-appealing in the photos.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: ottoskorzeny on March 25, 2009, 11:13:16 PM
What exactly was that stuff? It looks most un-appealing in the photos.
Yes! I did not dare to say that!
Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Doug Houston

You know, I can't remember what it was. The picture doesn't do it justice. It was really a pretty decent dish, but they said that it had mashed potatoes with it, but not the amount that there was! That place is a good place to neat, but the servings are often more than you might be able to put away.

JIM: The name of the place you were trying to come up with was "Machus Sly Fox". It has a different name now. Indeed, it's the place where Hoffa was abducted.

38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Jim Salmi #21340

Doug,

I remember that "Machus" and "Fox" now.  I wonder if the owners try to capitalize on the notariety of the place.  Remember Artie, the restauranteur in the Sopranos?  He was always telling his wife that Tony and the crew hangiing out in their restaurant created "buzz" that was good for business.  Must be true if it's on HBO, right?   ;D

1952 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

Tim PAwl #4383

Try the "Coach Insignia" restaurant,  it is a rotating restaurant on top of the GM headquarters building/ Ren Cen.  Great views of Detroit and Windsor, Ontario. All memorabilia on the walls is "Fisher Body"  Coachworks.   Plus you can see part of the GM collection on the lower floor.