News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need some help

Started by Tyler Atkinson, March 25, 2009, 01:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyler Atkinson

I have a 1939 Lasalle and I need a bit of info. I need to know what engines I could install in the thing without serious modification to it. Any info helps. Thanks.
Tyler 'Tyrone' Atkinson
1976 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1939 LaSalle Ambulance (Superior Body Company)

homeonprunehill

Tyler, I installed a'47 cadillac engiine in my '38 La Salle and I had to se a hacksaw to cat off a "web"from the engine so I could mount the starter, other then that everything bolted-up nicely, HTHJim
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Tyler Atkinson

Thanks for the reply. I've given myself quite a headache trying to search the web for info.
Tyler
Tyler 'Tyrone' Atkinson

Bill Gauch #23121

Are you looking for different engines or do you want to stick with the flathead? Any flathead should fit w/ some minor modifications. I am facing the same possibility. The 37s leak oil and the La Salle engines were a smaller displacement, but I believe can be modified to be the same. I would (and plan to) stick with a 38-40 engine.
WANTED: Nothing right now.

- 1938 Series 65 - 4-door sedan - Restoration (slowly) ongoing

http://38caddy.blogspot.com/

Tyler Atkinson

I guess I should be more specific. I am really looking for any engine that will fit in the thing be it a modern engine or an old original, I really just need to get it up and running.
Tyler 'Tyrone' Atkinson

Otto Skorzeny

If the main object is to get it running as quickly as possible, then have the existing engine rebuilt.

Next would be to find an identical engine that already runs. After that, the various flat heads of other years will fit with various modifications as Prune pointed out.

Don't forget you have a transmission to worry about. A modern engine will require a modern transmission matched to it. All of that will require a lot of modification to the engine bay, frame, drive train, rear end, etc.

The point is, there is no engine except the original (or it's siblings) that you can "drop in" and go.

What's wrong with the engine that's currently in it?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Tyler Atkinson

It currently doesn't have an engine, transmission, or drive shaft. I guess I forgot a few details. I was told by the guy I bought it from that I would be able to drop in an older chevy engine that has the same motor mount style, and it shouldn't need much modification. The guy restores older cars for a living, so I figure he knows what he is talking about. I can't remember the engine though. As for an older original, any help to where I could find one would be great, as I would prefer to put one in instead of a newer one. I always look on ebay and craiglist, so any other sites or places in Washington state would be great as I am quite new to the world of restoring. And thanks for the replies.
Tyler
P.S. If anyone would like to see a picture of what it looks like now, feel free to ask.
Tyler 'Tyrone' Atkinson

Otto Skorzeny

Yes that does make it easier for people to get you going in the right direction.

A regular poster to this forum recently gave away a flathead Cad engine. Somebody here will probably be able to rustle up an engine and drive train for you.

I would post a want ad in the Buy Sell section if I were you. Include as much information as you can.

Please do post photographs of your car. Everybody likes looking at pictures of cars.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Wayne Womble 12210

As far as the Chevy engines go, they were the same in the motor mounting department from the late 50s to the late 90s.  So all of them will from 283 to 454 would be the same mounting. Dont know about the ease of use in the Lasalle.

homeonprunehill

03-25-09
TYLER, You can go up to a a 1953 CAD. engine and still use the mannul transmission from a CAD. If you still have the front-clip on your '39  best you masure hw much room you will have for an overhead in your '39 La S. As for the flatheads  Cads.and La S. the engines were the same exterior masurements. Tyler , where in WA do you call home? I can see PDX from my house in Camas,wa
HTH JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Tyler Atkinson

Thanks for all the replies, I haven't been able to get near a computer in a while. Jim, I call a house in Shoreline my home, and I do have a picture of my car. It is an old ambulance built by Superior on a Lasalle chassie, and it is one of 4 cars that Superior built that year on a Lasalle chassie. It doesn't look like much, but I know what it will look like when it is fully restored.
http://my.picresize.com/21YQ2PHO71
Tyler 'Tyrone' Atkinson