News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Exhaust CrossOver Pipe on 1939 Cadillac 60 S

Started by BobbyMartin, March 28, 2009, 04:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobbyMartin

Can anyone help me with information on insulation applied to this pipe to reduce heat?  I have a problem with rear of carburator and distributor wires getting too hot.

Bill Gauch #23121

Generally, they were porcelain coated in black. I would imagine that provides a good deal of insulation. That said, are the wires getting too hot, as in, melting the insulation? If so, do you have them routed properly?
WANTED: Nothing right now.

- 1938 Series 65 - 4-door sedan - Restoration (slowly) ongoing

http://38caddy.blogspot.com/

BobbyMartin

Quote from: Bill Gauch #23121 on March 28, 2009, 06:42:47 PM
Generally, they were porcelain coated in black. I would imagine that provides a good deal of insulation. That said, are the wires getting too hot, as in, melting the insulation? If so, do you have them routed properly?

It's where the rubber caps turn into the distributor, that's where they are getting hot.

Doug Houston

There is more to this question than there appears. This is something that doesn't happen on those engines, normally. Somehow or other, there isn't enough air passing through the engine compartment. The engine on my 38-60S  has about the same configuration, and there has never been such a problem.

Someone with a good working knowledge of the car needs to examine it, and figure out what's going on. If the car is cooling properly, then,proper air flow is passing through the radiator. But, even that pre-heated air should never cause insulation to be burned.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Bill Gauch #23121

How old are the wires & cap? High resistance or a short are potential possibilities too.
WANTED: Nothing right now.

- 1938 Series 65 - 4-door sedan - Restoration (slowly) ongoing

http://38caddy.blogspot.com/

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Bobby,

A couple of thoughts.

One make sure you are not using resistance spark plug wires, not good for a 6 Volt system. Use the old type metal wire with little resistance. Also, don't use resistor plugs, same reason, not good.

Second do you have the spark plug wire holders for both sides of the engine that hold the spark wires off the engine? These are desiged to keep the heat off the wires.

Other than those suggestions I am at a loss to what your problem is.

Tell me how the engine degrades once it gets hot???

John Washburn
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

myren

Quote from: BobbyMartin on March 28, 2009, 04:54:46 PM
Can anyone help me with information on insulation applied to this pipe to reduce heat?  I have a problem with rear of carburator and distributor wires getting too hot.

Bobby, My 39-6119 has never had this problum. I drove it for about 7000 miles prior to restoration. Now that the car is finished, Newley reporcelened manifolds, and a tight rebuild I still have no heat issues on the wires. Only issue is the carb perculating in the hotter summer months. I thought of insulating this crossover pipe but the new porcelen looks so good. Are the wires routed correctly? 90 deg. to the left and right of the distributor down and then across the heads? I can send a picture of mine if you need.
Happy motoring
Myren

BobbyMartin

Quote from: myren on April 01, 2009, 06:37:57 AM
Bobby, My 39-6119 has never had this problum. I drove it for about 7000 miles prior to restoration. Now that the car is finished, Newley reporcelened manifolds, and a tight rebuild I still have no heat issues on the wires. Only issue is the carb perculating in the hotter summer months. I thought of insulating this crossover pipe but the new porcelen looks so good. Are the wires routed correctly? 90 deg. to the left and right of the distributor down and then across the heads? I can send a picture of mine if you need.
Happy motoring
Myren
A Picture would be very helpful.  I will send you my email address.  Thank you.

BobbyMartin

Quote from: John Washburn CLC 1067 on March 30, 2009, 10:09:01 PM
Bobby,

A couple of thoughts.

One make sure you are not using resistance spark plug wires, not good for a 6 Volt system. Use the old type metal wire with little resistance. Also, don't use resistor plugs, same reason, not good.

Second do you have the spark plug wire holders for both sides of the engine that hold the spark wires off the engine? These are desiged to keep the heat off the wires.

Other than those suggestions I am at a loss to what your problem is.

Tell me how the engine degrades once it gets hot???

John Washburn
My engine does not have the holders.  However, I have wrapped the cross over pipe with header wrap and have made a great improvement.

Robert A. Morris

I am fairly familiar with the 1937 Cadillac engine, in fact most 346Cu. In. flathead. I would first make sure the engine is not overheating and make sure fan is not slipping on belt. Also what i have done is; I made astainless steel deflector plate that mounts to the rear two mounting studs on carburator which helps keep heat from carburator, but if the heat is that extreme from crossover that it causing the distributor wires to become extremetly hot then I would suspect that there is something else wrong. There is space age material on the market that you can use to wrap the crossover manifold but this may not fix your root problem. Good luck.