News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Disc Brakes on a 56

Started by Eric August, March 30, 2009, 07:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric August

I have a sedan and I would like to convert to disc brakes in front. With all these aftermarket bolt on disc brake conversions for 50s chevys I wonder if anyone knows of something for Cadillacs, or if a chevy set up will work on a caddy. If so please pass on some info. thx

Otto Skorzeny

There is a bolt on system. Do a search on this forum and you'll find it.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

35-709

Here is a posting I made back in November about disc brakes, note you can get them for Cadillacs all the way back to 1934 -----

Always seems to be a fair amount of interest in converting to disc brakes.  There is a good tech article in the December 2008 issue of STREET RODDER Magazine (page 202) about installing front disc brakes on a 1960 Cadillac, brake kit supplied by No Limit Engineering in San Bernardino, CA ---- http://nolimit.net/
One interesting part of the article stated ---- ".... not only did they already offer a kit for the '59-'60-era Caddys, but for the '34-'56, '57-'58, and '61-'68 Cadillacs as well, and in two basic kits: basic, and complete."
Might be worth a look-see and a trip to the local magazine rack.

You might have a hard time finding the magazine now but the link to the outfit making the disc brake kits is right up above.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

D.Yaros

Does anyone have actual experience with this company and the product, I wonder?  If so, it would be nice to have their input.  From looking at the unit for our Cads, I am not clear if the $995 price is for the basic unit, or the full package, I suspect the basic.

The price does not seem out of line, I guess.  What say others on the price?

Would this get a major deduction in points by judges?
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

35-709

The next thing to do is contact the No Limit people selling the disc brake setup.  The author of the STREET RODDER article was impressed with the kit.
If you are worried about originality then stay with what you've got.  Your brakes will perform well if the system is up to snuff and maintained properly as I am sure many here will attest.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Eric August

I checked out the no limit site, I like what they have. I noticed they don't offer spindals, mine are usable but im looking for a drop spindals. Does anyone know where they can be found.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Never heard of anyone selling Dropped Spindles for any Cadillac.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

dan reed

I don't want to sway you on your decision to convert disc brakes, but I've found the standard '56 brakes to be quite reliable. I drive my '56 Caddy often and on long trips. In my ten years of ownership I've only had to do standard maintenance (keep brake shoes adjusted, replace shoes when necessary, flush and change fluid every so often). In ten years I have spent a small fraction on maintaining the original setup compared to a $900 disc conversion costs (which will also require regular maitanence). It seems quite costly to do the conversion when the original Cadillac engineered system is quite good.

Dan

Jeff Maltby 4194

Eric. Call Ron Metcalf @ RPM Engineering in s.calif. He is a brain on disc brake setups etc, for vintage Cadillacs.

760 329-1886
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Otto Skorzeny

I'll have to agree with Dan.

I too drive my '56 CDV as a regular car and have taken many long trips that include twisty mountain roads. I've put tens of thousands of miles on it in the last 8 years. I rebuilt the entire brake system when I bought the car and I have only had to replace the shoes once. Regular adjustment keeps things in order.

The car stops quickly and safely with no undue effort by the driver.

Remember, your still driving a 5000 lb tank regardless of the type of brakes installed on the front wheels. You're not going to be making quick lane changes and short stops, racing from stoplight to stoplight. The stock brake system is more than adequate for the car and the type of driving it was designed for.

I really think that you will not realize any noticeable improvement with the addition of disc brakes. I would spend the $1000 on perfecting the existing brake system.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

paul

i also agree the brakes on my 56 coupe are just as good as any modern car i have driven. The system is all rebuilt , yes you have to keep them adjusted manually but the pleasure and trouble free braking that results is worth the effort . And like the previous posters said with normal maintaince you will get years and years of service with just shoe changes and a occaisonal fast cut. These cars were ahead of thier time and can still run along with the pack just as well in 2009.