News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fuel Sending Unit on a 55

Started by CadDad, April 03, 2009, 08:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadDad

I am working on my 55 fuel gage set up. Gage works ok  but sending unit shows empty. I am figuring that the float is shot ,Does anyone have the specs on on of these units? What is the operating range? Also does the trunk have a trap door somewhere to allow access to the unit? My trunk floor has carpet glued down and I would rather ask then find out the hard way. Thanks,  Paul
1955 Series 62 2dr. hardtop
1959 Buick LeSabre 2dr. with  Manual transmission
1949 International Harvester KB-1
1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
1941 Buick Century Sedanet
1941 Packard 110 Club Coupe
1937 LaSalle Opera Coupe
1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe

kelly

I had a problem like that with my 57. Try running a fresh ground wire to the tank. If that corrects it, make the new ground permanent.
Kelly Martin
Kelly Martin
1957 Fleetwood 75
2008 DTS

Jack Mcilwraith

These units are accessible from underneath the car. While lying on your back, you will see the wire and unit at top right,just below the trunk floor.

paul

The fuel sender is on the drivers side of the tank at the front just below the floor board as was stated in a earlier reply. I had the same problem with my 56. 54 55 tanks are the same. 56 is also the same but the fule line to the front comes out on the opposite side. Anyway i had my tank relined and a new unit. But nothing registering at the gauge, i made a ground wire and unscrewed one of the screws that holds the unit in making sure when i slipped my wire connector on, the seal was undernith it, other wise fuel will come out that screw hole. Then i drilled a small hole in the trunk sheet metal and with a small metal screw grounded it to the body. The gauge has worked fine ever since. Im not building a show car just a daily driver so it was the easyest fix at the time especially when i had many other things to mechanically restore under the car to make it a reliable runner. Youll never see it unless your up under the car. good luck